833 OD rideability,quietness,reliability behind slant six.

-

71twister3bytheknee6

Reaction score
For those of you who have done this conversion behind a slant six,would you do it again? I am starting to round up the necessary pieces,and it adds up.I know OD is not a collared direct connection,so is there a lot of rumbling?I want to drive on the highway doing in the 70s,and with my A230 3 speed,3.23 axle,going 75 is not what it is like in a modern car with a 5 speed.The revs are up there.I know with the 833 OD I would be dropping the revs by 27%,or even 29% with a truck 833 OD ratio transmission.What has your experience been? Thanks.

I have an od 833 in my daily driver slant six dart.

It does great on the highway, off a red light is slow and weak but it is reliable and comfortable. I have 2.94 gears.

I am also building a valiant wagon with the same combo but with 3.55 gears

All in all a good combo if you are just looking for normal conservative street driving

Last edited:
I ran one behind a teener.It was ok. The splits were kindof wide,But it should be Ok with a slanty.
What does this mean?
"I know OD is not a collared direct connection,so is there a lot of rumbling?"

Last edited:
The splits are a little wide as said, but just rap the motor up a little in RPM before the shift.

The splits are a little wide as said, but just rap the motor up a little in RPM before the shift.
To AJ,Slantsix.org has a great article titled 4 speed transmissions.I am no ace mechanic,just a DIY enthusiasts.With an overdrive 833,in 4th gear your input and output shafts aren't locked together by a sliding collar to make them direct drive,1 to 1,like in a non OD 833 (they are locked together in 3rd,though,in a 833 OD)There is a countershaft taking load between the two,therefore possible more noise,and possible wear.That is what I was asking other members about.That is because 3rd is 4th,and 4th is 3rd,in an OD 833.The lever arm is upside down on 3rd and 4th to fool the transmission.Chysler altered the gear ratio in the new" 3rd gear" (which is 4th gear when you shift) to get better gas mileage in the late 70s.So in an OD 833,1st,2nd,and 4th gears as you shift in your seat are operating off of the countershaft,no big deal for 1st and 2nd,but for 4th,when driving at 75mph for hours at a time,this could cause problems.

Oh that'S what you mean!!
I have had 4 of those, in my car,3 of which I blew up....:(
And no, OD gear is not noisy.
Maintaining 65mph takes about 30 horsepower,give or take. Those gears and bearings,are so lightly loaded, they hardly even feel 30 hp.Just keep oil in it and it will be fine.
But yeah, I understand about the bearings being somewhat loaded in O/D, as opposed to direct drive.
The rest of the gears appear to be at least as strong as the regular A833.Although, I did shred the main-drive teeth off one set. The O/D gears are not very strong; I blew two of those up. But I doubt your slanty has enough nastiness to do that,lol. :)

Last edited:
As long as everything is tight in the transmission, new bearings, tight cluster gear shaft, synchro hubs, they are a nice quiet trans. I had one behind a hot 170. I drove it cross country at 70 mph, all day long. Do yourself a favor and run 90 wt gear oil, no synthetic, no ATF.

-
Back