833 OD transmission

-

ike61

Reaction score
Howdy all. Putting a 833 OD In my 76 swinger. The trans is also a 76 and is cast iron. Gears look good inside. I plan on getting a basic rebuild kit From brewers to freshen it up. Any mods that i should do to it? Its going behind a 300hp 360. Thanks

There's not a lot of mods you want to do if daily driving it or Street driving it. But for $50 I would put some new synchros in there as well while you have it open. I had brass shifter forks and opted to put steel ones in. Also I'm not sure what they're called but they operate the shifter for income out of the side case. they have the little notches for the desolate ball. I got those because outside the case they were a little rounded and weren't holding the shifter ears correctly. I also got in the shifter ears so everything was nice and tight. But if all that's well a rebuild kit for a hundred and some synchros for 50 while you have it apart ain't a bad idea...
Also when I was reading the book on how to rebuild mine they were saying the overdrive is a little bit more difficult as the overdrive gear now in the third gear spot makes things a little bit more difficult to take apart.
you can imagine what the normal for speed that the gears get smaller and smaller and smaller. But with an overdrive there's one big gear in the middle and it makes it a little more challenging to take apart and put back together... not saying it can't be done and that wouldn't have stopped me but something to look out for...

I agree with taking out brass shift forks and replace with the steel ones brewer’s sells. I broke a 3/4 fork and had to drive my Demon home 50miles in second gear. The new forks were not expensive and fit like a charm.

Also on Amazon is Jamie Passions book for 833 trans. Best money you can spend on info on 833 transmissions. He is a smart dude.

If you're getting new blocker rings, you have to be real careful that they are perfectly round, and that they grip the brake cones with only the tiniest bit of pressure. I put my gears in a lathe and give the a couple of swipes with 120 emery cloth.
If reusing the old ones;
use second gear and try every ring on it, selecting the one that brakes the best, from among the rings that sit the highest.
For the input gear, select the next highest sitting ring, but it doesn't have to work all that well, because about 90% of the time you will be granny-shifting it.
The crappiest one can go onto overdrive.

And the big tip;
When you are jamming gears, pretend it's a 3-speed. Cuz if you ever forget; ZING! that gear is in a bunch of pieces and no one knows how many other gears those parts are gonna take out, on their way into the bottom of the case. I broke two of them with a 318, and another with my 360.. Get yourself a spare trans, while you can still get one cheap. Later, under the gun, you will pay quadruple or more, just to get it into your driveway.
Remember; it's a 3+1.
It is NOT a 4-speed.

If your case has a floating cluster-pin; don't forget to seal and install the welsh-plug into the cavity at the front of the cluster-pin,lol.
Install the right speed-O gear for your gears and tires.

-
Back