833 Rake between gears.

-
Take pictures!
Mine has 2nd and 3rd slick-shift mods but I left the slider splines alone, allowing me to keep the brass rings in there for street shifting. When "racing" it is easy to overpower the brass and slam it home.
Perhaps yours can be modded that way too.I sure wouldn't replace any gears if just every second clutch-tooth has been removed.

As to the upgrade ; IMO, for a streeter,Switching to the later stuff is only on the table if your parts are in poor condition, or you're made of money.So for you it might be a good option, if the synchronizers have the full Slick-shift mods.
But if the hubs and sliders still have a full spline count, then you just need a set of brass rings.
So if you post some pics of the hubs and sliders, and clutch teeth, I might be able to walk you thru making it serviceable, and shift like lightning, too.
Then again Jpar might have parts to swap.

Last edited:
Take pictures!
Mine has 2nd and 3rd slick-shift mods but I left the slider splines alone, allowing me to keep the brass rings in there for street shifting. When "racing" it is easy to overpower the brass and slam it home.
Perhaps yours can be modded that way too.I sure wouldn't replace any gears if just every second clutch-tooth has been removed.

As to the upgrade ; IMO, for a streeter,Switching to the later stuff is only on the table if your parts are in poor condition, or you're made of money.So for you it might be a good option, if the synchronizers have the full Slick-shift mods.
But if the hubs and sliders still have a full spline count, then you just need a set of brass rings.
So if you post some pics of the hubs and sliders, and clutch teeth, I might be able to walk you thru making it serviceable, and shift like lightning, too.
Then again Jpar might have parts to swap.
Heck I might even buy some replacement parts just to get those modded parts. I think you're on to something just putting new synchronizers in there for fifty bucks and heck why he's in there spend $100 and put new bearings in it and new seals.
20150928_130523.jpg

Dibs on those old parts !
Are you seriously interested in the old tranny parts from my 833? I know what I have into the new ones.....Yikes! I kept an entire box of the old "crash box" stuff. No idea what it's worth.

Yes I'd like some pictures of the parts and I would be interested in them. Also did you go ahead and start tackling it by yourself?
Are you seriously interested in the old tranny parts from my 833? I know what I have into the new ones.....Yikes! I kept an entire box of the old "crash box" stuff. No idea what it's worth.

Yes I'd like some pictures of the parts and I would be interested in them. Also did you go ahead and start tackling it by yourself?

Here are some pictures of the 833 parts that I have available. The only wear I see is on the speedo connector. The threads are stripped on that. Let me know what else you need, or if you have an offer. Sorry, I have no idea what they are worth. Again....these worked fine....but I'm told they were for drag racing. A "crash box" is the story I was told.

trans 1.jpg

trans 2.jpg

trans 3.jpg

trans 4.jpg

trans 5.jpg

trans 6.jpg

Well that's a half crashed box.
And the sliders are totally unstreetable, on acount of total lack of provision for struts or synchronizer rings.
The gears however are streetable. There is no reason to not reuse them.

Like AJ said The sliders are nice Crashbox pieces and I'd be interested in them, but the gears and stuff there's nothing there that you couldn't reuse.

Guess I missed part of the story. What he has won't work together.

Plus I NEVER remove all the teeth off of first gear or the slider. No need to do that.

But what he has is nice.

I did not tackle the project myself. What I did is hire a local "mopar guru" to put it back to stock. It now shifts like it should, and does what it's told. Having the benefit of knowing the original owner of the car is a good thing. This car was set for straight up drag racing in the 70's. He ran a 11.63 with a 340. That's awesome!

I'm not trying to get rich off these parts. For me, they are paper weights. If someone is looking to set up a drag 4-speed, maybe they can use them.

I'm glad to hear the trany is shifting as you lile. I'll pm you my number and we can chat about what you'd like for the parts as I do drag race my mopar.
I did not tackle the project myself. What I did is hire a local "mopar guru" to put it back to stock. It now shifts like it should, and does what it's told. Having the benefit of knowing the original owner of the car is a good thing. This car was set for straight up drag racing in the 70's. He ran a 11.63 with a 340. That's awesome!

I'm not trying to get rich off these parts. For me, they are paper weights. If someone is looking to set up a drag 4-speed, maybe they can use them.

-
Back