833 Rebuild - 2nd Gear Grinds Going Up and Bumps Out Decelerating

Manual Transmission & Clutch Discussions

1. Duggie

Duggie Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:10 PM
    Man is that good timing! I pulled it out cold today to make a parts run and it was grinding a little going from 1st to 2nd. I was thinking "what could I have missed in the rebuild to have a random grind like this!?" And it did smooth out after a couple signal lights.

More great info. Thanks!

2. Duggie

Duggie Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I kept the shift rods exactly as they came off before the transmission rebuild. It ended up taking (one turn at a time) four turns out on 1st-2nd to not have 2nd pop out of gear when decelerating and five turns out on 3rd-4th to not have 3rd grind on down shift. And neutral is still clean.

Cool stuff! Not only did I fix my 4 speed (with $500 in new parts) I now know the how and why on synchro function and shift rod adjustment. Man, I love this stuff!!:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Duggie

Duggie Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Still in the learning mode. I've been easing into the shift linkage adjustments - one turn at a time. Thought I had it nailed until a little 100 mile shake down over Tiger Mountain yesterday. High RPM downshifts from 4th to 3rtd is grinding. Lower RPM 4th to 3rd shifts are fine.

Next newbie thought, :poke: Why not adjust the linkage until neutral acts "dirty" and then shorten the linkage back up so its just clean again instead of jacking the car up over and over, and easing into it a turn at a time?

• canyncarvr

canyncarvr Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      A dirty (not talking about the neutral gate...but dirt) shifter can cause shifting/grinding stuff as you describe. It's happened to me. I thought a small bit of resistance in the shift plates wasn't a problem. I took the shifter apart anyway, cleaned and lubricated (teflon) every shim and plate. Wow. Huge difference. Shifts now like the shifter rods are connected to nothing but air.

Douching the shifter down from above with cleaner/lube didn't do the trick. It had to be taken apart to be cleaned effectively.

You have noted a number of different symptoms with the same shifter/rod adjustments. Why would that be? Maybe something else is an input to the equation...like a dirty shifter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.