833 swap into '71 slant six three speed

-

dartman59

Reaction score
I have a 1971 Dart with the /six, three-speed, column shift. I don't know the bellhousing number, but I am wondering what are the chances that a four-speed (833) would bolt to the existing bellhousing??

If it is a dual bolt pattern bell housing, it will bolt up. If it is not, I don't believe it will. I could be wrong about that. I'm sure there are more learned minds here than mine...but I think that is correct. Other than the correct bellhousing and swappin in a 4 speed transmission floor hump, it should be a very straight forward swap.

If it is a dual bolt pattern bell housing, it will bolt up. If it is not, I don't believe it will. I could be wrong about that. I'm sure there are more learned minds here than mine...but I think that is correct. Other than the correct bellhousing and swappin in a 4 speed transmission floor hump, it should be a very straight forward swap.
X2 depending on which year tramsmission you use. Some years have a different diameter front bearing retainer. You'll need a 29 spline yoke and maybe you'll need to shorten the driveshaft a hair. If course, a new shifter and a steering column if you care about how it looks.

perfect!

there are three bell housings... one for three speed, one is dual pattern for both 3 and 4, and then there is a 4sp OD bell(dont know if later 3 spd will work in this)

i just bought a od bell and will make a spacer ring for the 23 spline IBR...

I have a OD bellhousing that is also a dual bolt pattern. I don't know if they were all like that, but mine is.

How about a Dodge Truck Six 6 Cylinder Bellhousing 4202506-1 ?? Would that work in my '71 Dart to mate an A-833 to the /6?? Assuming my bearing retainer is the right size ...

-
Back