87 318/727 in a 66 dart

-

scottyv

Reaction score
howdy all, i have a tech question, i have an 87 dodge pickup, with a 318/727, and i want to swap it in place of my slant/904, in my 66 dart, my question is, someone told me the later model 727s all had the same lenth tailshaft, and would work without swapping it for a shorter one, but i thought that they were different for a,b,c,f, and trucks, can anyone help, [email protected]

Can't answer the 727 question, but will mention you'll need a correct center sump oil pan and oil pick-up, motor mounts, maybe water pump and/or radiator and probably a few other things as well.

i've got the oil pan, and the shumacher mount kit, the rest will fit, i've done alot of mopar motor swaps, but never any using such a new motor/trans, thanks, scott

The 727 never came in the 66 dart so you will have to modify the tunnel to fit it. The body seam will hit the 727 case and it will be a tight fit. It is longer than a 904. I put a 904 in mine just to make it easier to do the swap and the 904 works great. You will also need either Doug's, tti or Spitfire headers if you don't have the 273/early a body exhaust manifolds. I used the Doug's and they fit great. It's a nice swap and you will love the power increase over a slant.

-
Back