8h 600 Mile Roadtrip - Advice

-
Or just buy an extra belt for the trunk, they're cheap. As long as you have a couple wrenches, it's a 5 minute job. But really, a belt inspection before you leave is a no brainer.

My trunk box has points, rotor, distributor cap, etc. I bought a new fuel pump at Carlisle for $10 so that's in there too.

I do wash my windows with women's panties though. I hang a brassiere from the steering column to hold snacks and a jock strap from the parking brake handle to hold nuts.

Buy 3 belts, I guess. One for the alternator, one for the powers steering, and one for the A/C.

Several have mentioned points and ballast, but the one thing in the back of my mind is the nylon gear on the distributor if it has never been replaced.
yep, slant six's can shear 'em

Several have mentioned points and ballast, but the one thing in the back of my mind is the nylon gear on the distributor if it has never been replaced.

Yeah that's true but I would not want to change one on the side of the road. IIRC, you have to drill a hole in the gear. Easier just to carry a spare distributor. Used one is cheap.
I think the OP will be fine with just a few things.

Did I ever mention buying my 68 off EBay from Finger Tight Jimmie in San Jose, then driving it 2800 miles to Ohio with only a handful of tools I had carried on the plane?

[QUOTE="chinze57, post: 1973169942, member: 57624"The leak developed a few weeks ago and hasn’t gotten any worse. 1 qt over 3 weeks or so, driving 20-40 miles per day.[/QUOTE]
Rent a car, seriously! Think about it. You have a bad leak like I do, the engine revving at higher RPM's will just sling oil everywhere. At what speeds are have you been driving since this leak started? Your easily going to go through a case of oil if not more driving 800+ miles, if that's just one way? Your going to regret it if you take the Dart! Good Luck

[QUOTE="chinze57, post: 1973169942, member: 57624"The leak developed a few weeks ago and hasn’t gotten any worse. 1 qt over 3 weeks or so, driving 20-40 miles per day.
Rent a car, seriously! Think about it. You have a bad leak like I do, the engine revving at higher RPM's will just sling oil everywhere. At what speeds are have you been driving since this leak started? Your easily going to go through a case of oil if not more driving 800+ miles, if that's just one way? Your going to regret it if you take the Dart! Good Luck[/QUOTE]

I drive at around 65-70 on the freeway to work every day. I lost a quart of oil in 2.5 weeks, driving a minimum of 20 miles a day, sometimes double that

[QUOTE="chinze57, post: 1973173036, member: 57624"/QUOTE]
I drive at around 65-70 on the freeway to work every day. I lost a quart of oil in 2.5 weeks, driving a minimum of 20 miles a day, sometimes double that[/QUOTE]

If your quoting me and my statement, I'd like to think that you agree with my post? If so, thanx! Dude, just don't do it, it's unreliable as you speak. Don't put the car in anymore jeopardy, PLEASE! good luck

I drive Texas to Louisiana every 2 weeks. 509 miles 1 way. Do it in 8.5 hours. 600 will end up being a longer drive.
Grab your spares and just drive it. My 72 pickup has made the drive inumerable times.

Another thing to check before you go would be your brakes and front wheel bearings. Unless you have done a brake job on the car since you've owned it even if the brakes look good I would make sure the front wheel bearings are greased well. There are plenty of good suggestions here but remember parts are not readily available any more so even so taking a load of parts means you know you'll get there and back. Another suggestion give yourself plenty of time to get there in case you do have problems and you don't need to keep up with the idiots doing 80 on the freeway. Take your time , enjoy the view when there is one, enjoy the ride and thumbs up from some of the other drivers and most of all be safe and I hope all goes well.

Hey y’all, my job just offered me travel from GA to Louisiana. It’s about 600 miles and 8-8.5h.

I’d like to do it in my ‘64 Dart 270, 225 /6. Do y’all have any advice about what I should look for and do before I go, what I should be checking along the way, any precautions, etc.

Currently I’ve got an oil leak from the rear main seal, but no metal filings or anything in my oil, just a leaky seal. I’m going to be getting my engine rebuilt soon, after when this trip is.

There’s new coolant hoses and coolant in the car, running 10w-30 oil, and no ethanol gas. It’s got a single barrel carter BBS and 1.25” exhaust if that’s relevant.

I think I should be fine but is there any advice? I currently daily drive this car and have for over the past year. I haven’t had any issues since February with the car that took it out of commission for any period of time. The leak developed a few weeks ago and hasn’t gotten any worse. 1 qt over 3 weeks or so, driving 20-40 miles per day.

Did you go? How did it go? We just got back from a 2,000 mile (out of 2,800 miles)- two week round trip in our 64 Dart. Did a ton of work before we went including a new clutch. Packed a tool box, no parts, and various tapes and liquids. Our on the road "Plan-B" was an AAA membership and get to the closest rental car company. 1,000 miles south on HWY 101 and 1, we left the car with a second mechanic along the trip to look at the clutch not releasing, or maybe transmission input shaft hanging up after 100 miles. Yeah, one of the things I can't reach without a lift. Can't even get under it with ramps. Also had the antique starter fail. Looked up my forum favorites in the motel room to ID the replacement starter model and took a hike to the auto parts store the next morning.

If you haven't gone yet, I say GO GOR IT! Life is an adventure man. Enjoy yourself and your car. The biggest problem I had was my cheeks cramping up from so much grinning.
:lol:

And drive 55. You'll get passed a lot. Stay in the slow lane. That'll be right where the car was made to cruise. You'll get good mileage and have little wear. Not to mention you will be able to stop quicker with those 9" brakes.

Unfortunately I did not get to go. The census, as I’m sure you all know, was a **** show.

I did an oil change and checked pressure and got spare parts and was ready to go and up until the day after the census ended they were still telling me I was leaving.

I will use my time to get other things ready and plan another road trip to make up for it.

I’d like to do it in my ‘64 Dart 270, 225 /6. Do y’all have any advice about what I should look for and do before I go, what I should be checking along the way, any precautions, etc.
Rent-a-car
The wind noise alone will spoil your trip. You will worry the whole trip both ways, and it will take a week to unwind. When you get home, your wife will go to her sisters for three days while you get your hearing back, and start acting human again.
rent a daymn car.
or better yet; fly

Rent-a-car
The wind noise alone will spoil your trip. You will worry the whole trip both ways, and it will take a week to unwind. When you get home, your wife will go to her sisters for three days while you get your hearing back, and start acting human again.
rent a daymn car.
or better yet; fly

Ya know AJ, I'm getting the impression you maybe didn't find inspiration in the Blues Brothers movie quote by Elwood when he said, "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."
:popcorn:

And You'd be right.
And I still don't get it,lol.
But one thing I do know, every Mopar I've ever had, from 1965 to 1980, made a lot of noise plowing wind. It's doable for me on short trips. But every hour after the first, I'm more and more wishing I woulda stayed at home. And in summer without A/C, I am forced to open a window or two, and hollee, then I get a hurricane! And 8 hours of 75 mph is almost enough to drive me crazy, even with earplugs in..
Well OK, the 4-door sedans mightabin a lil better, but I didn't have but a couple of those.

And You'd be right.
And I still don't get it,lol.
But one thing I do know, every Mopar I've ever had, from 1965 to 1980, made a lot of noise plowing wind. It's doable for me on short trips. But every hour after the first, I'm more and more wishing I woulda stayed at home. And in summer without A/C, I am forced to open a window or two, and hollee, then I get a hurricane! And 8 hours of 75 mph is almost enough to drive me crazy, even with earplugs in..
Well OK, the 4-door sedans mightabin a lil better, but I didn't have but a couple of those.

I actually drive my 60s cars on trips. It is nothing like a modern car where you just check the tires and oil and take off in air conditioned comfort.
The secret for me is religiously stopping every 2 hours to take a break.
Music? Forget it, especially in my 64 convertible where running beside a semi sounds like being strapped on the outside of a 747.

-
Back