9 1/4" Axle Swap?

-

PA Dart Guy

Reaction score
Has anyone looked into swapping a 9 1/4" axle out of a Dak or Durango into an A-Body? I've been trying to find axle dimensions on them without much luck.

I'm figuring if the axle widths are close, it's got to be cheaper than digging up an A-Body 8 3/4"

Any thoughts or info welcome!

close? no. you'll be miles ahead finding a mid to late 70's 9 1/4 diff. you still have to cut/jig/reweld housing, custom axles, etc. if your on a buget get a 8 1/4 diff. get som A/M axles, a suregrip, and you should be good to go as long as the car isn't to heavy.

The 9 1/4 is not suitable for racing as it is a C-clip style axle. If an axle breaks, you may go into the wall or send a tire into the spectators. As far as I know, no one makes a C-clip eliminator kit for these axles either, but I've been wrong before, lol!

If you're on a budget and not racing, an 8 1/4 as mentioned by bigblockaholic should be fine for your application.

Most axles are C cliped and are racing.

1) The 9.25 axle is a heavy pig. Not suitable for car use IMHO. That being said, I do see lots of 400+hp Rams and Daks at the strip, and they rarely have axle problems. Having rear disc brakes solves the potential flying tire issue.

2) The 8.25 axle can be reasonably built to stand up to 400+hp no problem, and they are cheap/easy to come by.

There are several places around that sell custom length 8.75" housings. I wouldn't screw around with a 9.25 axle. They're heavy, and you'll have to get custom axle shafts. If you'll have to play with custom axles, why not get an 8.75 for a couple hundred bucks and have a choice of a ton of performance options.

Check out one of the people that can hook you up.

http://members.aol.com/doctordiff

Moser sells new 8 3/4" rear housing ends (weld on). If you really wanna use 9 1/4" differential, you can weld those housing ends to the 9 1/4" Diff. That way you can eliminate the c-clips all together. Then all you need to do is get custom length 31 spline axles ( 8 3/4" where 30 spline) .

I was doing research on the 8.25" and Found lots of good upgrade stuff for them. I was pleasantly surprised...

What are the best A-bodies to look for for an 8 1/4 axle?

Most 73-76 A Bodies with a V8. Some slant sixes will have them, too. I'd just start looking under whatever 73+ A Body you see to see which axle it has.

Be sure to get as much from the donor car as possible. The axle tubes are larger than on a 7.25. So get the U-bolts and nuts, and the shock plates.

Like I posted to someone else, it might be easiest to unbolt the springs, brake line, e-brake cables, and shocks from the car and take the whole assembly as one unit. That way you have everything you need, and it's a heck of a lot easier than removing the u-bolts. If the springs are better than yours, bonus.

If the donor car has the same transmission as yours get the driveshaft, too. Your current shaft will be too long. If the transmission is different, you can have yours shortened, or have a custom shaft made.

I'm not sure what car you're working on, but don't forget that any 8.25 axle that you find will have the big-bolt pattern, so your wheels may not fit.

we're about to check out the 91/4 swap, hopefully by the end of this week maybe the next. we'll let ya know

-
Back