9-1/4 rear end problem

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 9-1/4's pinion seal gave out and made a big racket. Painted my underside very well with gear oil.

I also have a Mancini racing set of 3.55's with the also included;

(Big and small) Pinion bearings and races, ring gear bolts, seal, crush sleve.

Question(s) are,;

Whats the OE spline count on the pinion. The pinion I have has many splines. I shake at the thopught of getting a newyoke on the pinion, but I do not think that will be the case. I just don't know how many splines are OE in '78, the year of the rear.

Does anybody have an exploded view of this rear?

Will the entire assemble need to come apart just for the bearing and seal
should I decided to skip the ring and pinion. (No, I don't want to skip it. Money IS an issue.)

Has anybody also had/have/used this kit?

What might I be missing?

Thanks crew.

(I don't ask alot, but when I do, I'll load ya up some.)

Rob, You have helped me many times and I am disheartened that you are dire and I can't be of assistance at your time of need. You questions are beyond my realm of comprehension. I'm sure someone will help. THANKS ALWAYS WALT:sad6:

i had the pinion bearing go out on my 98 ram. dont remember much more than it was hell to break the pinion nut but i changed it in an afternoon and im a shadetree mechanuic. i did have a chiltons manual though

He he he, Thanks fellas. It was leaking very very little on me for about a week or so. I knew it was coming. However,, it happened to me in a quick fashion. I wasn talking to a freind and told him I'd swing by. A 35 mile trip.

I came off the Prkwy to a supercharger like wine. and a tad of grinding. Being that I grew up in the town next door, where my freind also lives, (School mate) I hobbled the car over to my first mechanics garage and left it.

When I first got the Magnum 3 years ago, Mancini racing has a garage sale section. There was a set of 3.55's for a 9-1/4. The price was right. I forget exactly the cost, but it was something like under $130 to my door. WELL, if that's the case! Lay it on me baby! I'll install it later.

Well, heres later? I'm not sure until I actually open it up for the first time since I got it and found to my surprise that the ring and pinion also have a install kit inside. "Crush sleve, pinion seal, bearings. WOOO! HOOO!

Today I call to see if my unscheduled stop in is done.

OE gear is 3.21's and it is not a noticable gain going to 3.55's, but it is where I want to be for the intended build and overall package of the cars plan.

good luck with it rumble. shoot a couple pics to refresh my memory if you can.

Rumble,

These are real easy rears to deal with since they're the c-clip style. Pull the drums and diff cover. Remove the locking bolt that holds the spider gear shaft on. Remove the spider gear shaft. Push the axles in and remove the c-clips with a magnet then pull the axles straight out. Make sure you have enough room in the garage to get the axles out from both sides or you'll be putting the whole thing back together again and re-positioning the car.

PM me if you want an exploded diagram, I should be able to scan one.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, it's easier to get the pinion shaft nut off BEFORE you jack the car up LOL! A 1/2 or 3/4 impact gun should spin it right off.

Thanks Ram. The rears seal let loose just before I got off the Prky. way.
I drove real slow to my old mechanics garage. I came back a day later with a "Of my self" ring and pinion gear set and install kit with it for the pinion.

I left it there because driving 30 - 35 miles back home on what was happening didn't seem to be the most wise idea.

The job is done with new bearings everywhere. It's now set up with 3.55's.
A noticable and nice increase, but not one for any record books. I can tell there in there. OF course it hums a bit higher at the Hwy. speed. But it good.

At home I lack a large impact gun and mic's. Where my mic.s went? I don't know. Things disapear everytime I move.

Between the cost of re-setting myself up to do the job and paying the man to do it, I'll pay. It's not a big deal. I just didn't see myself driving the car home at 5 mph for as far as I had to go only to purchase tools and bearings etc...

Actually, a exploded view of the rear or all rears would be good in the tech section to look up when needed.

Thanks Ram. The rears seal let loose just before I got off the Prky. way.
I drove real slow to my old mechanics garage. I came back a day later with a "Of my self" ring and pinion gear set and install kit with it for the pinion.

I left it there because driving 30 - 35 miles back home on what was happening didn't seem to be the most wise idea.

The job is done with new bearings everywhere. It's now set up with 3.55's.
A noticable and nice increase, but not one for any record books. I can tell there in there. OF course it hums a bit higher at the Hwy. speed. But it good.

At home I lack a large impact gun and mic's. Where my mic.s went? I don't know. Things disapear everytime I move.

Between the cost of re-setting myself up to do the job and paying the man to do it, I'll pay. It's not a big deal. I just didn't see myself driving the car home at 5 mph for as far as I had to go only to purchase tools and bearings etc...

I understand your circumstances and probably would have done the same if it was near someone that I trusted. I know what you mean about tools vanishing too. Glad to hear that you feel an improvement, is it still an open rear end or have you installed a locker or limited slip previously?

Actually, a exploded view of the rear or all rears would be good in the tech section to look up when needed.

I'll take another look at it and see if it's copyrighted. I don't want to get into trouble with the mods. Maybe I'll pm Adam and see what he says.

Take it easy Rumble and have a great day!

It is a suregrip equiped rear from the get go. The whole drive train and accer.'s from a '78 P code Cordoba. From trans cooler to rear end.
I think it was $800 for the whole car. Picked it preety clean.

-
Back