9 1/4 rear?

-

Bigmacdak

I'll take the Duster.....
Reaction score
A lot of talk about rear ends has been going on lately so I thought I would ask. Why not put a 9 1/4 from a dodge truck in? Granted you would have to get it cut down, but parts are easy to find, not to mention the wide array of gear ratios to choose from. Plus you can find them at the local salvage yard reliatively easy too.

So why dont more folks use the 9 1/4 rear? Am i missing something? They seem to be a fairly strong rear end. Pros & cons...?

Lack of performance parts like spools and steeper gear ratios plus they have the floating axles which would require C clip eliminators or a change over to Dana/8.75 ends. I'm not sure of the axle spline either which I think is oddball.

There is some stuff out there for them and for a street car I would consider it if I had a complete one with the ratio I wanted. Otherwise it's probably more cost effective to go 8.75 or Dana 60 depending on your application.

Getting a sure grip or like diff. for it is not hard and ratio's are limited in the upper 4's and beyond. Like above, being it is a c-cliped rear end, you'll need to address that if the performance level gets high.

I'm not sure about stronger axles for it, but you could inquire if need be. Theres several company's out there for stronger axles. Shortening the rear is a catch 22. By the time you spend the money on shortening the rear, it would have been easier if not cheaper to purchase a DANA 60 for it. Which can be had new from 2 places.

Getting a sure grip or like diff. for it is not hard and ratio's are limited in the upper 4's and beyond. Like above, being it is a c-cliped rear end, you'll need to address that if the performance level gets high.

I'm not sure about stronger axles for it, but you could inquire if need be. Theres several company's out there for stronger axles. Shortening the rear is a catch 22. By the time you spend the money on shortening the rear, it would have been easier if not cheaper to purchase a DANA 60 for it. Which can be had new from 2 places.

Thats what I was afraid of. I think the tallest gear for it is the 3:55 & the lowest is the 4:88 if that. So im starting to think, If in doubt go DANA 60! 8 3/4's are extinct around here & like you said, by the time I get one shipped here, then shipped to have it reworked if need be, & all the other odds & ends I would have been better off with a new DANA 60!

The rears came stock with 3.21's which I just threw out last night and even 2...... something. These can be found in Cordobas and there sister cars.

A new DANA 60 from Moser or Strange is less than 2 G's.

I disagree with the notion that the 9 1/4 should be avoided. Didn't the Dana 60 have a 1.625 pinion diameter? You don't hear about them breaking. Have any of you compared a 9 1/4 differential with a 8 3/4 side by side? The ring gear bolts are huge compared to the 8 3/4. I sent a 9 1/4 to Moser to be narrowed and 8 3/4 ends installed and didn't spend over $250 including shipping through UPS! I got an Auburn sure grip from Randy's RingNPinion for $300 including complete bearing/setup kit, 3.55 gears from Mancini for $190. I plan to get 31 spline Moser axles with studs & bearings for about $415. I got the rear from the junkyard for $45. Total comes to $1200. An added plus is the 9 1/4 is much easier to work on. From what I read in Mopar Action the 8 3/4 and 9 1/4 can use the same pinion yoke. Just my .02 cents.

They're big and heavy, have c-clips and require custom axles. I can have a custom 8.75 made for me, with new tubes and ends, and new axles for a few hundred bucks. Then I have something lighter and straighter and I can swap out gears whenever I want.

They're big and heavy, have c-clips and require custom axles. I can have a custom 8.75 made for me, with new tubes and ends, and new axles for a few hundred bucks. Then I have something lighter and straighter and I can swap out gears whenever I want.

A weight issue is small potatos unless comp drag racing is at hand. Then it's a catch 22 with durabilty being an issue and totalpower handling.

I'm not short selling the 8-3/4 or beefing the the 9-1/4 up in anyway.

C-clips are allways a verbal issue or someting everyone allways mentions on line, but seldom do I see issue on the road. Abuse a rear, they'll break, thats the bottom line on anything.

I'd like to know if anyone has a C-clip eliminator for this rear.

As I said if it's strictly a street car or mid 12 occasional strip car then I would go for a 9.25 if I had one already. I wouldn't go out of my way to build one though.

Someone does make a C clip eliminator for it, I just can't remember who.

I have seen articles where they added 8 3/4 tube ends and resplined stock 8 3/4 axles in the 9 1/4. I am pretty sure Moser did the job. There are several ratios available up to 4.56 and a couple of good differentials for your application . Look in the 4x4 mags for more options . These axles were used with big block trucks with 4 spds. They are plenty strong and not as heavy as a 60!

i have a 9 1/4 in my 69. my father got it from a dealership he was workin for back in 2000 for practically nothing. now when you guys say that its a c clipped rear end..what does that mean?

The axles are held in place with a clip, in the shape of the letter "C". It is located near the center of the rear at about 1/2 - 1 inchs from the axles end.

When this breaks, the axle is now free to leave the rear end housing. They do not often break and will take quite a bit of power to do so in most cases, but when they break, the price of fixing whats left can be alot, to mega money.

They sometimes break in stock powered cars.

I have seen articles where they added 8 3/4 tube ends and resplined stock 8 3/4 axles in the 9 1/4. I am pretty sure Moser did the job. There are several ratios available up to 4.56 and a couple of good differentials for your application . Look in the 4x4 mags for more options . These axles were used with big block trucks with 4 spds. They are plenty strong and not as heavy as a 60!

My buddy does the same thing with dana 60's out of the 70's dodge trucks. He sends all of his stuff to Moser as well. Says he has solved his rear end problems for life. The "home-made" rears must hold up good, he has a 10 sec big block dart!!!

I have a 9 1/4" 3.92 Grip in my Dakota R/T with 156k miles on it with no problems. Lots of towing cars all over, usually weighing in at 9500lbs.
I change the lube every 25k and double dose it with additive.
Even done smokey burn-outs on Brice Rd. with Dart on trailer.
However I NEVER shock load it.

-
Back