9.25 and 8.25 rears.

-

Bobby Lippens

Reaction score
Okay guys I am looking for a bit of help. I need a rear and am looking at the narrowest rear I can find that might not need the housing modified. So does anyone have a list of rear widths through the years and what they came in? The build is simple a 500hp 3rd gen hemi with a 518 trans. I really want a 9.25 but if a suitable 8.25 will work I can go that way. I have a dakota 8.25 right now but not to happy with the housing being off set. I don't know if that matters or not.

Any particular reason you are set on an 8.25 or a 9.25?

You can find a factory 8-3/4 that will bolt in.

There will be some Dana 60s out there.

You can have any rear, ford 9", Mopar, Dana, rear cut to size and have the perches moved to OEM locations.

The A body engine is offset to the passenger side, which requires the pinion to be offset to the passenger side as well, on a Ford the engine is centered so the pinion is also centered which makes the Alex shafts shorter on one side than the other. Mopar the axles are the same length.

Unless it came from an A body it will be wider than what you want...most 9.25's and most 8.25's came in bigger vehicles. But really....what's the big deal with cutting down a housing? When you do that, it actually fits the car and you don't end up with one of those dubious wheel/tire situations. If you have the chops to put in a Hemi and a 518, you should also be able to handle a measly rear end narrowing project.

what car?

a 66/67 B body 8 3/4 is a bolt in in a "29" body car

Okay guys I am looking for a bit of help. I need a rear and am looking at the narrowest rear I can find that might not need the housing modified. So does anyone have a list of rear widths through the years and what they came in? The build is simple a 500hp 3rd gen hemi with a 518 trans. I really want a 9.25 but if a suitable 8.25 will work I can go that way. I have a dakota 8.25 right now but not to happy with the housing being off set. I don't know if that matters or not.

Hello Bobby Lippens,
Attached chart is something I found on the Intra Webbie a wile ago (Not Mine).
Hope this may help you or others.
Stay Safe.
Happy Mopar :)
Arron.
Rear End ID Chart A.JPG
Rear End ID Chart B.JPG

Good luck finding 1

They are actually one of the easier 8 3/4 axles to find.

Nearly all 66 B body cars got one including small block cars and a majority of the 67's did as well. Small block cars started getting the 7 1/4 in 67.

A 65 is also the same but I know less about the percentage installed from the factory.

-
Back