9.25 rear question...

-

danmc77

Reaction score
I have a LSD for a 9.25 rear in my attic. i was thinking about swapping out the open rear in my durango for this LSD unit. I will re-use the ring and pinion and only swap out the diif unit.

Question:

Does the entire diff (pinion included) need to be removed and reset, or can I just leave the pinion in there and just put the ring gear on the new diff?

What exactly is involved with trying to swap in an LSD in a working 9.25 rear?

I've had a 9.25 apart before, so i know what's involved in the assembly/disassembly, but I want to do it right 'cause it's an every day driver. Believe it or not, I did this before w/ an 89 ramcharger, and I left the pinion in there. All i did was swap the diff and reinstall and tighten the side adjusters till I got a good marker pattern- worked fine. But again, i want to make sure I do it right on my every day driver.

*I THINK*....again, *I THINK* there is a spline difference in the older 9-1/4's as vs the newer ones.

*I THINK*....again, *I THINK* there is a spline difference in the older 9-1/4's as vs the newer ones.
Well the diff I have w/ the LSD has a anti-lock brake ring on it, so I assume it's a late model piece. I ASSUME that won't be an issue.

So what do you think - can i just swap out the diff, and adjust the side adjusters to set it up properly? It'll be the same ring and pinion.

Splines and such aside, you shouldn't have to mess with the pinion depth. The ring gear will have the same concentric relationship with the new diff as with the old one. It should be a "set the backlash, verify the contact pattern and run it" proposition.

Splines and such aside, you shouldn't have to mess with the pinion depth. The ring gear will have the same concentric relationship with the new diff as with the old one. It should be a "set the backlash, verify the contact pattern and run it" proposition.
That's what I was hoping to hear - lol. Like I said, i did it before, but I thought I was just lucky that it worked out.

I actually got the LSD for free. I mechainc I know tossed it in the scrap pile after a customer blew a rear. They replaced the entire unit, but the on;y thing that was damaged was the ring and pinion. Good for me, huh?

The anti lock up ring is not an issue for the older car.
Double check on the spline count before you do anything. I'd hate to see you needing new axles. I'd hate that as a surprise.

The anti lock up ring is not an issue for the older car.
Double check on the spline count before you do anything. I'd hate to see you needing new axles. I'd hate that as a surprise.
Me too - I'll check before I touch the truck. My point was - that since it does have the tone ring, it's not an old LSD unit - I assume anti lock brakes on a 9.25 wasn't common until at least the mid 90's.

Either way, I will heed your advice and make sure it fits before I do anything.

Mmmmm I've been looking for one of those in the bone yards here for my 9.25 It's nice to know that they are all 31 spline and that the anti-lock crap doesnt matter if not used... it will expand my options considerably

Thank you for this thread everyone!

Mmmmm I've been looking for one of those in the bone yards here for my 9.25 It's nice to know that they are all 31 spline and that the anti-lock crap doesnt matter if not used... it will expand my options considerably

Thank you for this thread everyone!
For the record, the other 9.25 I did, the new LSD had the anti-lock tone ring too. the truck it was going in was an 89 w/o AL brakes - i just removed the tone ring.

-
Back