9.25 Rear ?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
I just bought a 3/4 ton conversion van that has a 9.25 under it. Not sure if it's a peg leg or SG at this time. Do these 9.25's have any value and are they desireable fo any of our cars or street trucks? Lots of other stuff on it like disc brakes, OD tranny. Curious about the rear end value.
Small Block

I do know it is a c-clip rear, from what I understand not very desirable for most apps.
I have one, waiting on a Rat project.

There are a few HI-PO things out there for the rear, but there not as common as a 8-3/4, DANA, Ford 9 etc...

For the most part, they came under late B body cars, trucks and vans. Today, there under Dodge Ram trucks.

For the expense of a narrowing job on one of them, you could have a DANA or Ford 9 under the car quicker and probably cheaper, probably.

They don't usually bring a lot on the market. It's not that their junk. It's just their not nearly as good as a 8-3/4 or 9" and will cost the same to modify. Now if you have something that it'll bolt right into it's worth something.

I looked at doing a 9 1/4 swap into the Demon when I was building it. It is a stout enough piece but the cost was going to be about the same as tracking down a 8 3/4 so I went that route.

Jack

I've been looking at the bone yards for a SG unit for my 74 Charger's 9.25 man do I wish the rear was an 8.75 as they are so much easier to do work on. If I found a complete BBody rear with springs for a good price I'd be so happy to get rid of the iso crap!

For those of you who do not know what the "iso crap" is, its rubber isolators everywhere in an attempt to completely separate drivetrain from the unibody. It means special shock plates and spring perches, isolated tortion bar anchor and even the K frame is floating! ...sorry for the rant

I am in the process of eliminating the Kframe and torsion bar anchor rubber bushings with solid ones...

To get back on track away from my problems lol SmallBlock, if you do have a SG unit in there and the rear is a pre 1981, Id be interested in the SG unit if your not going to use it or keep it

The unit is ina 92 3/4 ton van and it looks to be somewhat original. Pics of the rig are in the parts car section. The ends of the tubs neck down rather than being straight out to the ends. It has 12 bolts in the rear cover so that gives it away for the 9.25.
Small Block

YEP! that's a 9-1/4 allraight.
The thing that makes it more expensive, just by a few bucks is the ISO parts need to come off unless your willing to modify them. IMO, they need to come off and the more available spring pearchs need to go on with the more available shock plates for common shocks rather than top eye, bottom stud shocks.

Otherwise, yes, they cost the same as any other rear.

Would it be worth $200-$300?

I guess it depends on what you want it for. If you plan on using it in an A-body probably not worth much over $100 cause it'll cost too much to make it work unless you can narrow it yourself. If you need it for a truck $200-300 would be in line.

I'll check it today and see if it's a sure grip unit. There are two tags on the pan bolts but not sure what they say yet.
Small Block

-
Back