9" Drum and Wilwood Disc Brake Conversion

-

A/MP

Reaction score
Just read a review on Summits site where a buyer says Wilwoods disc brake kit does not work. Anyone use it w/o going to the big ball joint of the 73+ A body?

i called Wilwood and talked to one of their techs, Jeff, he said I was lucky to get him because he's the only Mopar guy on the team. Anyway, he assured me that the kit (140-11022) was really for the 9" drums and did not require the steering knuckle, ballpoint, control arm upgrade. FWIW. You should call them and discuss your setup.

Didn't work for what application? I understand Wilwood only works for 1964-72 cars, and there are different kits for 9" & 10" drum brakes, and none if the car has factory K-K disk brakes. I wouldn't trust the comments of someone who bought Wilwood thru Summit anyway since they give no value-added and might even mark-up the price.

I've got the 10" drum conversion Wilwood kit on my '70 duster some of the BEST money I ever spent well worth every penny spent for looks quality and performance.they went right on like a dream:D:D

<clip> I wouldn't trust the comments of someone who bought Wilwood thru Summit anyway since they give no value-added and might even mark-up the price.
Ya, I read that guy's comments on the summit page and figured he was probably an idiot. BTW, I've found Summit's prices to be reasonable. Where would you buy the kit from?

On my first '65 Dart I went with the tubular A arms. I was able to get a complete package from another car. This new build, I opt for and aftermarket brake set up. I wanted to go for the Dynalie package but I did not like that they limited the total car weight to 2400 lbs with Dynalite on front and drums on the back. I'd like this build to be more street friendly than my other drag only cars. Although this '65 Dart will be a Pure Stock race car, it can be driven on the street with no changes.

I can tell you first hand this kit fits, and works just fine. I installed it on my old car with 9" drums. I ended up going with tubular upper control arms afterwards. The control arms came with the big ball joints. I took my knuckles to a local race shop and had them reamed to fit the large balljoint. None of that really matters in this case, but I thought I'd mention it because I know that some question the strength of the small upper balljoint. I was really impressed with the kit, If all you are looking for is better braking for street driving, I wouldn't hesitate to install the 9" kit, assuming your balljoints are in good working order.

Ya, I read that guy's comments on the summit page and figured he was probably an idiot. BTW, I've found Summit's prices to be reasonable. Where would you buy the kit from?

Bought mine From Summit Racing no issues what so ever and they're cheaper cause' they buy in bulk..

I converted my "65 Dart to Wilwood front disc brakes but had to go with 15" Cragars because Wilwood at the time only offered them in the larger bolt pattern. No problems with the stock upper control arm.

View attachment 1715119467

I have the Wilwood kit on my 63 Valiant with the 9" drums. I also have the 14" Cragers on the car. Everything wits nice and clearance is good. The only problem I ran into is the wheel studs were bigger than the stock 7/16". I ended up drilling the Cragers to accept the 1/2" studs and using the long shank lug nuts. I have some floor pans to repair before I get into installing the Dr. Diff master cylinder and the rest of the brake lines.

I picked up the Wilwood kit at Summit Racing while I was passing through Reno at their SParks location. It was on their clearance rack for $400. I was missing 1 of the Hub bolts. I bought a 5 pack on amazon.com for $11.

-
Back