9" info

-

DBrown

hold my beer...
Reaction score
I am in the process of installing the 9" in my 73 dart and figured that you guys would like to follow along with my progress...also if any of you would like to see how its done.

I am using a 9" from a 71 Early Bronco WMS-WMS is 58". in it's current state it is 28 spline, big bearing, track lock with 3.50 gears, and a C7AW case.

I am currently running a 7 1/4 that was stock behind my 318/904 combo. I have seen people say the 7 1/4 is about 57 3/4" WMS-WMS, so I am really close to the same width.

here are some measurments:

9":
yoke is ~1 15/16" offset to the passanger side of the housing
u joint is ~9" from the front of the axle tube

7 1/4:
yoke is ~1 1/8" offset to the passenger side of the housing
u joint is ~8 3/4" from the front of the axle tube

after finding all this I am getting really excited because I don't realy see any problems comming up with the pinion angle or offset. their is all kinds of room around the drive shaft in the tranny tunnel.

I have always set pinion angles with the rear in the car before but I think I am going to try something different this time and set it up on a bench with the rear out of the car. I currently have the housing preped and am getting ready to rebuild the track lock that I have setting on the shelf. I am planning to complete the swap in the next week or two depending on how much time I got between work and the home life.

9 inch dart 007.jpg

I to am also going to run a 9". Just because it was a freebie, with two centers. A set of 4.11's and 3.00's. Both 31 spline 4.11 is a spool, the 3's are open. I'm going to be putting on rear disc, just because I want to. I am just piecing it all together here and there. Iv'e noticed alot of others also going with the 8.8 as it's pretty close and highly available. My rear came out of a lincoln so I have to chop it down and order up some axles.

I also have a 3.00 laying in the shed. I just picked up a A883 with OD so I think I will be able to just use the one set all the time...I plan to pull the stuff out and try to get ready for assembly either this weekend or early next week.

i was looking into doing this kinda swap, instead of buying a 8 3/4 for 500+ buy a ford 9" for 150 or so, what kinda problems do you guys have, how about u joints, brake line connections, installing?

You should`nt have any problems, if you use the the bronco unit they were all 5 on 5.5 wheel lugs, you `ll have to redrill for mopar spacing, it will use 3/16 brake lines, but you cannot get 3 inch drums any more, all ford offers are 2.5 even in the aftermarket, so with that being said if you do get a bronco unit, change the backing plates and drums to a later style 2.5 ( the backing plates dictate which drum you use ) also the axle housing flanges will have a 12 degree forward rotation on them do to the raised suspension to compensate for pinion angle, you`ll have to cut and reweld the housing flanges in a standard 0 to 2 degrees forward rotation, I`ve sent a few measurements for other choices.... Rick

65-66 Mustang 57.25 inches

67-70 Mustang 59.25 inches

71-73 Mustang 61.25 inches

77-81 Versailles 58.50 inches

67-73 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 9" 59.25 inches to 61.25 inches

57-59 Ranchero and station wagon rears, 57.25 inches

66-77 Bronco 9", 58 inches

77-81 Granada/Versailles, 58 inches

67-71 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane, 59.25 inches

71-73 Mustang, 61.25 inches

64 Falcon 58 inches

67 Cougar 60 inches

you are almost right on the brakes...

the early bronco has some differences then the other 9"

from 66-75 the 28 spline axles had a different offset on the axle flange. meaning if you try to swap over to the full size brakes the drums will contact the backing plates...ask me how I know. in order to clear this up you can get a set of 76-77 axles or have another set of axles cut down. with this issue you are realy stuck with running the stock brakes, upgrading to the 76-77 axles/brakes, or just going disk.

as far as the lug pattern you are right you will be stuck with the 5 on 5.5 but I have come up with a couple options...I started my car/truck hobby in the off roading area and the quick way to fix that is a set of spacers that change the lug pattern and space out the wms-wms I planned to go this rought because of the tight stance in the rear. I realy want a stable car in the corners. this way you don't cut anything and parts are easy to find and run.

another option I explored is to swap the front rotor/hub assembly to the ford truck hub/rotor unit. but then I got to give up my factory ralleys and I don't want to do that.

I also have a rear from a 68 F100 that was about 3.5" wider then the EB rear and I thought about running that but decided not to because of the way I plan to fix the lug pattern issue.

I do have an update on my project...I pulled the 3rd member out of my EB today and got everything moved around in my shop to do the carrier work I need to do. I get to go and get my A833 tomorrow so I am also excited about this.

also I think you 64 falcon is wrong unless you get a certain option...my 64 falcon had an 8" similar but not a 9"

update:

I rebuilt the trac lock today. and reinstalled the carrier. just to let everyone know the carrier swap in a 9" takes about an hour if you got the case out of the car. the carrier dosen't use shims it uses adjusters to set the back lash. probably the easiest to set up gears in!

also found all my brake stuff so I will be ordering all the stuff to do this next week. all the brake stuff for the EB is available from broncograveyard.com

ford 8.8 out of a 95 or newer explorer are common to have 4.11's with posi. all are disc brake.

-
Back