90' oil filter adapter keeps leaking!

-

joesnow

Reaction score
Anyone know how to get the 90' oil filter adapters not to leak? I have tried a couple times now. I stopped for about 30 minutes run time. Now it is leaking again. I do have damm spitfir headers on it. They are open right now until I get it to the exhaust shop. Thanks.

is the adapter new or a used one? I have a brand new one and no leaks. I think guys will sometimes nick the gasket surface or sometimes spend to much time in one spot with the roloc pad cleaning it causing them to leak.

It is used, but I don't think that is the problem. I didn't see any damage. I do have a recently aquired second one I could try.

the way I did mine was use just a small amount of form a gasket on the seal, torque it down good, let it set over night then fire it up and check. same way on friends barracuda and 5 years later not a drop. whatever you do i would not use silicone.

They require quite a bit of torque to seal because of the wide part. If the right amount of torque is applied, it should not leak. No sealant required.:burnout:

P.S. A later model car like a late 80's Diplomat used an aluminum adapter. Much lighter than the iron one.

I'm with Camd64, a little form a gasket and proper torque is what has worked for me. If it's leaking by the bolt, it just needs a new copper washer.

THREE gaskets total.....the bolt takes TWO washers, a thin fiber type on the outside(between the bolt head and adapter) and a thicker cork one on the inside between the adapter and the block...the third gasket is the large outside one is the same for straight on and 90 adapters......

Put it against the block with new gaskets and hold it still as possible while tightening the bolt. The outer washer protects the cork gasket on the bolt side where the turning is. There's on protection on the adapter side of the cork. Turning the adapter can screw up the cork gasket.

Or try getting a new gaslet from 4secondsflat.com. Don at FBO will hook you up with Cometic gaskets. No sealant and no leaks for me.

i got a used adapter then got a brand new gasket set. doesent leak a bit. and i dropped all the seals in the dirt at least 5 times. it was a real pain to get on but once i did it worked. if you have new gaskets and it still leaks check to make sure you installed them in the correct spots then if it still leaks try getting the engine hot then try and tighten the bolt again.

Mine leaks also. I've tried several times to seal it up. Where is there a copper washer? It is such a pain to get to,hold straight and,tighten at the same time especially with headers. I have a nea gasket kit and it don't come with a copper washer.

Oh yeah, what size is the bolt for the adapter?

-
Back