904/727 Swap help

-

SwingerMan

Reaction score
I searched through the archives and didn't find the answers I needed. I pulled a 904 that was behind my 340 and I am installing a 727 in its place.

-Are the linkages at the tranny the same on the 904/727?

-Are the front covers the same between the two?

-Are the dipsticks the same between the two?

I bought a 727 from TCI and I am not sure if the linkage is there at the tranny (it will be here tomorrow) if its not I was thinking I could swap the one from the 904 if they are the same.

Thanks

Linkage should be the same

Front cover is different, Dip stick is different but I made a 904 one work on a 727 so you should be able to do the same.

You will need a shorter driveshaft though.

the kickdown linkage is different.
The lower support at floor shifter is said to be different. I cant testify to that.

Thanks for the response. I knew about the driveshaft I am getting mine cut down next week. I will have to scrounge up a front cover and see about making the dipstick work. I thought I had everything covered but you always find more stuff once its actually out!

When I went from Six cylinder to 340,I use the kick down cable set up from a 1992 Dakota.You will need the bracket to the transmission,arm for the valve body the spring for the arm,the cable and a way to attach it to the engine.It will run from the back of the transmission to the front of the engine.The whole set up is bullet proof and can be adjusted at will.You can get all the parts at the dealer or cheaper art a yard.

Hey guys, is the transmission crossmember (the piece that you unbolt from the frame in order to drop the tranny) the same between a 904 and a 727? Or do you need to get a 727 crossmember when you swap a 904 with a 727?

Thanks for your help.

Hey guys, is the transmission crossmember (the piece that you unbolt from the frame in order to drop the tranny) the same between a 904 and a 727? Or do you need to get a 727 crossmember when you swap a 904 with a 727?

Thanks for your help.
The one you have will work. With a long tailshaft housing you will need to put it in backward from where it was before.

Actually the mounting pad for the trans mount is the same dimension from the bellhousing on all 3 speed automatics and manual 3 and 4 speed transmissions. The O/D auto's are different.

-
Back