904-727 swap Torque converters...

-
Reaction score
so heres the deal, i have an 88 d150, just got a replacement internally balanced 318. Also since the the old torque converter grenaded its pilot shaft the tranny was shot, so, A727 goes in.
I am aware i have to get the driveshaft shortened as the 727 output end is slightly longer, but the real issue i am having is finding a torque converter with a 12” ring gear for the starter.

No problem finding the 11” option, got a yoke no problem, but that elusive 12” ring gear has halted my project until i can find a solution.
If budget weren't an issue, then sure i could get one, but it seems insane to me to pay more for the damn converter than the whole new transmission...

IDEAS? SUGGESTIONS?

so heres the deal, i have an 88 d150, just got a replacement internally balanced 318. Also since the the old torque converter grenaded its pilot shaft the tranny was shot, so, A727 goes in.
I am aware i have to get the driveshaft shortened as the 727 output end is slightly longer, but the real issue i am having is finding a torque converter with a 12” ring gear for the starter.

No problem finding the 11” option, got a yoke no problem, but that elusive 12” ring gear has halted my project until i can find a solution.
If budget weren't an issue, then sure i could get one, but it seems insane to me to pay more for the damn converter than the whole new transmission...

IDEAS? SUGGESTIONS?

What transmission was in before? Was it 904 based? Like an A500? Or a 904? If so, you have no choice. The 727 will not accept that converter.....IF that's what you're asking. It was kinda unclear to ME.

What transmission was in before? Was it 904 based? Like an A500? Or a 904? If so, you have no choice. The 727 will not accept that converter.....IF that's what you're asking. It was kinda unclear to ME.
It was a 904, was just having issues finding the rite size ring gear i needed, got that sorted now, but i do have a new question lol what is this part called?

8E875B10-2237-42BC-8400-0BC1F63FCD4F.jpeg

Nope can’t be , that is in the gas tank under the box, this is deleted from old engine, something related to the forced exhaust system. Truck never would have run if the fuel pump was deleted

ok.

I was thinking that, but it seems just as easy to get the 2$ gasket and seal it with less chance of excess rtv getting into the timing chain. Im still facepalming my blonde moment about my lack of recognition for the fuel pump ‍♂️15 years out of power mech haha I'm a bit green lol

excessive rtv.....dont put it on an inch thick...have not used a gasket there in decades....also water pump...timing chain cover,,,,rtv no gasket

So the 727 torque converters ring gear is still larger than my starter can mesh with, d’you know off hand if there a particular starter i need to switch to, to make the 318 work with the 67-79 a727? Im out in the country so just biting the freight bullets is an issue if i have to send it back again. The 904’s ring gear was 12” OS diameter, all the 727s are 13”. I think I've heard they started using a different starter after 87/88(my truck is and 88 lol *face palm), so hoping you can clarify for me whether or not i should just order the 70’s model starter for the 318/727 pairing

If u have a 727 converter in the 727 tranny then it will work cause the placement of the starter hole is correct for the old style starters and the new mini starters. U need a mini starter from a V6 3.9 or V8 5.2 or 5.9 Ram or Dakota. Post pics of your problem. There is other starters for different 6 cylinders and the Hemi that don’t fit. Kim

ask for a fuel pump gasket for a 1970 Dart - to make the kid at the counter happy tell him it's a Swinger with a 318

-
Back