904 accumulator spring differences, years?

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a '68 904, has a B&M shift kit in the original valve body, and (of course) no accumulator spring. Evidently Ma changed from a lighter/taller spring to one like I'm used to seeing in 727s. I tried one from my 727 parts stash, but it doesn't contact the valve body (as in having to compress it when putting the VB bolts in). I found 2 of the early type in a '65 and '63 904, but I'm wondering when they made the switch. Anybody know?

20231012_153817.jpg

I can't help you.
I tried three different ones before my trans felt good.
Somewhere I have recorded what I finally used, but Oh Lordy where it is I have no idea. That was 20 years ago.....

I found a bit more info tonight on Whatever It Takes' website. They show the taller/lighter wire spring for '60-'66 applications. The other thing I was thinking is that the heavier 727 style spring may be stronger, and if this VB operates with increased pressures, it may be a safer choice.

Screenshot_20231012-222659_Gallery.jpg

U can also order 1 for a 440-6 or a Hemi trans. They go inside the acc. Kim
I have a couple of those, got them from big block motor home transmissions. Unless the 6 bbl/Hemi ones are different. I've often wondered about installing both springs, if it would act like a "soft" blocker rod. Guess I've finally asked about the idea.

20231016_172626.jpg

Which spring cushions which shift? I'd swear I pulled a trans apart that had both in it, but that could certainly be memory failure. I put this 904 together with a 727 style outer spring (just to get it buttoned up), but the spring is any easy swap whenever.

-
Back