904 Aluminum billet front drum

-

o1heavy

1974 dart sport
Reaction score
what exactly are the advantages of using a aluminum billet drum not so sure I want one
I know it’s lighter and will take more rpm to explode
But also will wear faster and need more maintenance
Thanks

If you are worrying about the stock drum exploding ...it does not....

If you need every .001 of performance....might be needed...

now..I have read..that they require more frequent band adjustments and fluid changes...

I agree with the others on this.
The softer metal drum will wear a lot faster, and the 904 isn't a drum exploder anyway so why shorten the life and risk contaminating the rest of the trans and converter with aluminum particles on a street car.

If you are worrying about the stock drum exploding ...it does not....

If you need every .001 of performance....might be needed...

now..I have read..that they require more frequent band adjustments and fluid changes...
I’ve never heard of the stock drum exploding
In a 904 so that really isn’t a concern
I’m looking for a reason why I should spent the money on one and at this point I’m having a little trouble finding one
If was worth a tenth or so maybe but
The extra cost and maintenance is pushing me away

Doubt you would see much on an ET slip either.
Few years back i broke a pretty much stock 727 behind a pretty potent mill i had in an A body.
Replaced it with a rollerized 727 with aluminum drum. On a weekly bracket/ index car i saw nothing after the swap on my time slips.
Some guys say they pick up ET, i definately didnt, and had hoped to

To see some gain, you would need to replace all the drums with alum, and roller bearings, maybe some straight cut gears too.

One of the advantages of the aluminum high gear clutch drum is more clutches, which I contribute to longer life . Just got one from A+A for my transmission, with the larger piston.

The only 904 I’d do with an aluminum drum is one that has had the full lightening and roller treatment... so if I break my current piece, we’ll see how stupid I’ll go :)

I miss anything??

roller bearing output support & reverse drum

roller thrust bearing front & rear planetaries

billet band strut

billet reverse piston & spring retainer

billet alum 4 pinion front planetary

billet alum direct drum

Shafts....

Cost on a unit in a ready to go state 4-5k

Jay...I know Earl here in Vegas with his 69 Barracuda F/SA stocker paid 6K for his Pro Trans lite weight...low drag 904.......looking for every hundred of a second is not cheap....

Absolutely don’t need shafts
This is from pro trans and is a little pricey
Dave is sure this will fit my needs and then some
And I know I could have done it cheaper and
Local or myself I’ve been building and adjusting (tweaking)my 727 over the years
Until I have gotten exactly what I wanted from it
Just decided to let him do his thing
As building this car over the last few years has really burnt me out
And I just don’t feel like pulling this thing in and out until it’s right plus I’m just ready to go racing

i told them my plans with my 904 and the stock shafts didn't seem a concern... if and when they are, I'll be digging up some coffee cans of $$$ and making the trek to Lancaster for a makeover:) Dave and Darren are good people.

i told them my plans with my 904 and the stock shafts didn't seem a concern... if and when they are, I'll be digging up some coffee cans of $$$ and making the trek to Lancaster for a makeover:) Dave and Darren are good people.
Good people vibe is why I spent my money with them
The car should be really close by the time I receive the trans lots of work and money
On a junky old dodge
Ha

what exactly are the advantages of using a aluminum billet drum not so sure I want one
I know it’s lighter and will take more rpm to explode
But also will wear faster and need more maintenance
Thanks
I use the high gear drum only in my strip only car.
My observations are car accelerates faster. How much I would say depends on combo. Definitely shifts 1-2 much faster and firmer due to lighter weight being easier for the band to grab.
I use the a metal mesh full flow filter on the valve body and a spin on
External oil filter changed often to minimize metal in the oil.
I would not use on the street until someone makes a steel line one like is available for the 727.
Although it is said 904s do not explode, I like the peace of mind.
My 2 cents

-
Back