904 and 727 question

-

tguss

Reaction score
View attachment image.jpgI have a 68 valiant with 904 trany , I pulled the 273/904 out and installed a 360. With 727 trany , on the 904 trany on side there is a wire I would guess backup light. On 727 trany there is a black , orange, and green could I change the part in trany or what does my wire from harness hook to ? Picture is the 904

It's a colum shift, is this the natural switch ? How can I wire car so it will start ? Or will it still crank over with out being hook up ?, thanks for the help

OK up through 69? the reverse lamp switch was on the column or on the shifter with a console.

The single post you removed is the neutral safety

Scare up a connector for the three pin and do one of two things:

1--Wire the center pin of the newer 3 pin switch to your old wire which is neutral safety, and leave the reverse lamps as they are.

2--Wire the center as above, and wire the two OUTER pins up to your reverse lamp switch wires. You can refer to a wiring diagram. The stick cars all had the reverse lamp on the trans, so you can refer to the bulkhead connector pins to use in order to feed it through

Don't understand the question

The MIDDLE prong of the newer 3 prong switch is neutral safety, "same as" you original

The OUTER 2 prongs are the reverse switch

Do the switches have the same thread? swap switches and be done with it.

The internal part of the trans that moves that switch is different, so it would activate the backup lights when they shouldn't be on.

here's what I do with that problem. cut off the two outside prongs and crimp a wire on with a butt connector to the center one. now install a crimped on pull apart connector out a few inches.

It's just not that difficult to get a connector for the newer switches. I'm pretty sure NAPA has them, if not they were used for about a hun'rd years on every Torqueflite from 69? onwards

-
Back