904 band adjustment question

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
I read an interesting piece on this which said snug both bands (driveshaft wont turn either way) then back off each till the driveshaft will lightly turn (opposite rotation for each band) then loosen another 1/2 turn & lock down the nut. I did this on the band on the side but on the inside band I snugged it (& then some) & the driveshaft will still turn so I just stopped at that point. should I just do the regular procedure (snug (72 in lbs) then back off a number of turns on the inside band or do both in the regular procedure? thank you for your time. RR

I snug them up finger tight and then back 1 1/2 turn.

I usually cannot be a torque wrench in there do to the headers
we run but of course that would be better.

I am not familiar with method you have stated. But then again - I
am old.

I know you cant believe everything on the 'net but he explained it, it did make good sense. Maybe I can take a pic of the writing & post it, if not, John is 1&1/2 turns good on both of em? EDIT I dont have the skills to post a link to it

I know you cant believe everything on the 'net but he explained it, it did make good sense. Maybe I can take a pic of the writing & post it, if not, John is 1&1/2 turns good on both of em? EDIT I dont have the skills to post a link to it
Yes Sir.

John thank you & I found it, might be a good read. mopar1.us/band.html then click on band adjustment.

Last edited:

That’s an old school way of adjusting the front band, and it does work for why it’s done.
The idea is that you stop the driveshaft with the band and the back off until the band lets it turn again.
This gives the closest tolerance of the band adjustment.
It can help solve shift flares and makes the shift as quick as possible.
Problem is, it can also cause bind up on the shift if misused.
(First hasn’t let go yet when second applies)

I don't know where to find the spec, but it is torqued to 10/20? inch pounds and backed off a certain amount. This is the only reason I own an inch/pound torque wrench.

I think as I seen to recall the service manual in the 1960's stated 72-inch pounds and
back two turns. They are at the shop and i am at home today or I would look it
up to be certain I am correct.

The bands we use now are higher friction components and better quality.
We often use higher ratio band levers as well. Hense, my 1 1/2 turns recommendations.

-
Back