904 clutch help

-

Rotax

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm working on my 904. Can someone tell me how to get the piston and seals installed? I've tried and can't get the hang of it. trans won't pass air check.Thanks :violent1:

vasoline on the seals and drum....and wiggle it......and twisting motion all at the same time...

I actually had one drum that i could not get the piston back in with out rolling the lip seal...which is no good..

Can also freeze the drum for a couple hours. Then there is a seal tool that has a real thin wire to help with stubborn lip seals. See link below.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-0015-Universal-Transmission-Lip-Seal-Installer-Protector-Tool-J-26744-A-/281211863230?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item41798880be&vxp=mtr"]T 0015 Universal Transmission Lip Seal Installer Protector Tool J 26744 A | eBay[/ame]

you probably want to "freeze" the piston not the drum....

When you freeze them, you freeze the piston with the seals on it and the seals expanded or compressed (whichever way the seals lip goes) so that it just drops in and then the seals expand out to the drum when it warms up.

The easiest way is to take something like a .010 feeler guage blade and taper it to about 1/4 wide at the end.
Sand, mototool or whatever the edges all rounded and smooth.
Put the seals on the piston and wipe them down with vaseline or assy lube made for transmissions. (both pretty much the same)
Lube the inside surfaces of the drum where the seals slide the same way. (you almost can't get too much on them)
Lay the piston in position and with a light downward pressure on the piston, put the feeler guage tapered tip between the drum and the seal and slowly work your way around the piston with it.
You should feel the piston giving as it begins to go down into the drum.
Alternate between the inner and outer seal frequently, so they both get tucked in as evenly as possible.

Just in case:
Keep in mind that all the seals should have the sharp edge of the lip facing the inside of the drum.

Finally found a pic of how a feeler guage is used, but I don't think he tapered it.
It's a lot easier and safer for the seal if it's tapered and shiney smooth on all the edges.

Attachments

• seals.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 209
I just use one of these...came in a seal and gasket kit I bought. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxOQJ4mvz7Y"]LipWizard Installation Tool - YouTube[/ame]

Vasoline and lip wizards. Sounds like a girl I knew once.

Take a wide rubber band, smaller than the piston, and wrap it around and over the new seal, then leave it sit over night in a warm area. Always works for me.

Take a wide rubber band, smaller than the piston, and wrap it around and over the new seal, then leave it sit over night in a warm area. Always works for me.

Doing the rubber band and sticking it in the freezer for 20 min will do the same quicker.

Update on my problem. clutch air checked fine in pump not in case. End play appears to be the culprit. A trans man took care of it.

-
Back