904 decel no load downshift?

-

Scott Warner

Reaction score
Got about 75 miles on my home brew 904. Recently started a no load (no throttle ....as in coming to a red light) downshift 3-2. Its not harsh...but feels like I dropped it into 2 at exactly 30 mph.
Normal?
I was thinking I may have the D/S cable (yes its converted) a little tight?

Thoughts?

Thanks Y'all.

What you have is a mismatch in the pressures.
With a closed throttle, and the KD mechanical linkage properly adjusted, the TV pressure is at a minimum.
Therefore, it has to be that the governor pressure is too high for the line-pressure; (or the other way around; that the line pressure is too low). My guess is that since it was fine at one time, the governor is just stuck. This is a hard sell for me, cuz Mopar governors just never stick, therefore;
I would revisit the KD adjustment first. followed by the line-pressure

If you have a lot of trouble with this;
What I did was drill and tap a hole, in the case, in line with the Line pressure adjuster, then installed a pipe-plug. To adjust the line pressure now, I just drive the car up on a curb, which tips the oil over to the passenger side and have at it. It only takes minutes now.

You can install a pressure gauge in the governor circuit, and diagnose with that.

Last edited:
I agree with AJ. The simplest thing is to make sure the kickdown cable or linkage is adjusted correctly. Also, it needs a return spring on the kickdown separate of the throttle return spring. If not, then it can cause what you're experiencing by not allowing the kickdown to fully release on decel.

This kindof thing can easily happen if the throttle-cable bracket sits too low, as happens when you try to use a 2bbl bracket on a high-rise intake; the geometry can get a little messed up.

-
Back