904 front drum q.

-

dartswinger84

Reaction score
Hi, can i remove some material from pressure plate (.078"). That pressure plate is .216"thick

i removed .025 from the pressure plate to get clearance for the the 5th disc...

Sounds like you adding an extra clutch in your direct drum. While you can grind it down to .078, it will be to thin and cost to much. The plate will warp when it gets hot in the trans.
When I did my 904, I measured the clearances and gave the numbers to the machinest and he step cut the plate for snap ring clearance. The plate is still mostly .216 thick and I have .075 clearance between the pressure plate and clutch. I also used the thinest snap ring.

how thick are the disc and steels are you using?

my new clutches is .085 and steels is .068. Ther was only 3+3 clutch/steel in my stock drum and if i use new parts 3+3, clearances will be too much for
"hi perf" tranny. I also buy a&a snap ring kit and it helps if i put only 3+3clutch/steels.

The thinnest Alto Red Eagle clutches measure .061 thick. You'll pick up .072 clearance just in a clutch change.

hmm, i think those 904 4 disc drums are pretty rare, but those 998 999 drums are pretty common, and if i put one of those 998 or 999 drums in my 904, i should change oil pump too,but maybe i'm wrong. I have seen a few 904 drums and all of those has been 3 disc drums.

4 disc are pretty much the normal....i changed out a 4 disc for 3 disc in a friends trans...

the pump needs to be changed with the 5 disc...front drum..

To what end? there's an ebay seller selling the five disc direct drums for the A500 for 20 bucks plus shipping. These are LOADED with NEW clutches and steels.

i believe (?) that the pump is bevelled to clear the 5th disc....

dont know for sure only have read.....

maybe someone can enlighted me???

-
Back