904 has no first gear?

-
Great, you told him where to get the information. Now maybe he'll be able to extrapolate said information and use it. But will he withhold it from others and tell them to buy a book?

While the manual tells me what to test and what to do if one of the tests fails, which I can appreciate, I needed TrailBeast's link to help me understand how it actually works. I need that knowledge to better troubleshoot. So far I THINK I have the info I need. Once I verify that, I will share here.

You will have verified that you have the info you need once this thing is all fixed; not before. And working with the governor is a chore; remove driveshaft, remove crossmember, remove tailshaft housing... I would like for you to be able to find the info you need in a service manual, but I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that you just get lucky on this one. I've dealt with lots of transmissions with stuck governors, and they almost always start in 3rd; not 2nd.

Are you gayfers really arguin on a thread from 2013? Say it ain't so.

Did some testing over the weekend. While I have not tested pressures yet, I did discover the locknut on my kickdown band backed out and my kickdown band was loose. I also figured out I do not have full range of motion on my throttle pressure lever. I put some Seafoam Trans Tune in to clean out any passages I missed during the rebuild and that helped. I now have manual first, manual second, and third in "D". It is still starting out in second when in "D" though. I have an unused 0-100 PSI oil pressure gauge that I plan to use to test the governor pressure.

Most seafoam manuals call for the kickdown lever to be all the way back when the carb is all the way open.

A little adjustment of the lower linkage and it is within spec now. I am using the FSM as a guide. Still need a 5/16" 4 point socket to set my kickdown band properly. Gonna swing by the local industrial supply store to see if they have one, otherwise it'll come from amazon.

Oh man, all these years I've been without a four point socket to properly set my kickdown; while all this time they were available on Amazon!

Well, it's been a bit and life has intervened. I managed to get the valve body out of the car last weekend and got it cleaned out. There were a few passages full of gunk but clearing them doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. Checked the governor pressures and they are in line with the chart in the service manual, except when the wheels are stopped, it is sitting at about 2.5 psi. Going to take the governor out tomorrow and give it a cleaning. I noticed there were 2 e-clips on the end of the shaft when I took it apart originally so I put it back that way, could that be preventing things from returning to the proper position?

On another note. I realized my throttle cable was not at the right angle. I put in a 1" carb spacer and that has corrected the issue. It also allowed me to get a better adjustment on the kickdown linkage. I followed the proceedure in the service manual. With the throttle wide open, there is maybe 3/16" till the throttle pressure valve bottoms out. with no throttle applied the lever is at the front stop.

Yes. the exploded view only shows 1 clip. And of course I did not manage to get to pulling and cleaning it yesterday so it's going to have to wait till Friday or Saturday. I intend to pull the governor, and the housing if I can get it off with the transmission still in the car, clean them out, reassemble it exactly as the service manual shows, and throw it back in. We have a Coffee and Cars event Sunday morning. I want to get it worked out by then. But you know what they say....want in one hand......=)

I mean that the two clips shows that somebody has been messing around with the valving. They probably did some weird stuff in the valve body as well, so you need to check that exploded view also.

Understood. I have to pull it all apart to clean it anyhow. That will be a good time to make sure it's all the right pieces put in the right way. I have read that the weights can be ground down to change the shift RPM. Let's hope that's not the case. The transmission was supposed to be all original. There is always the chance that my dumb *** put it back together wrong but there WERE 2 clips when I took it apart. lol.

Wasn't there some nonsense about NY taxis with slants that only shifted from 2 to 3?

I have no idea. Mine is a 273 though I suppose if someone put the wrong parts in.....we'll see this weekend.

Finally got to the governor and I am fairly sure that was my issue. The snap ring that holds the governor housing in place was not seated in the groove. This allowed the housing to slide back enough to bind the governor. Turns out the housing was a little too long for the new output shaft so I sanded a couple of thousandths off the back of the housing so the clip would seat properly. I cleaned everything while I had it out as well. It is all back together now and the governor moves freely. The engine and trans are still sitting on the floor of the garage so I will check back in once it is all back together and we have taken a test drive.

Got it all back together. Took her for a spin and I now have proper up and down shifts! Thank you for the guidance!

-
Back