904 high gear drum 5 or 6 clutches

-

venomvpr900

Reaction score
Ok I finished the transgo tf2 last night and started the trans overhaul today. Every was going along smoothly until I started to install new clutches and steels in the high gear drum. I pulled out 5 clutches/steels, I installed 5 new ones and had way to much clearance between snap ring and reaction plate. I removed and re-counted pulled 5 old out installed 5 new no change so I installed orignals clearance was in specs. so just for the hell of it I installed a 6th clutch and steel - installed reaction plate and snap ring. clearance was in specs. ...... so question is do I go ahead and run the 6 clutch set up or use 5 clutch and look to get a thicker reaction plate to correct clearance.

I'm using a complete mopar performance a-904 oh kit comes raybestos clutches and steels

is this the mopar racing kit or performance kit that comes with raybestos?

Race kit comes with kevlar lined front drum band, raybestos blue plate special racing front and rear clutch plates and the rest is what comes in performance kit

check the thickness of the old steels and clutches...and compare them to the new ones...

you might be able to add a thickner steel to take up clearances

Run the 6 clutch plate stack. The performance stuff is generally thinner for just this reason. As long as the clearances are OK, you're good to go.

Ok so 6 pack it is, thanks ram. once again you have answered my questions, what a kick @** site !!!!!!

.........Did u soak ur clutches in atf ? what do u have 4 clearance now, and with the new 1s...............when using the tf2 kit u need at least 0.20 thou clearance 4 each set of clutches.............kim.........

If I remember correctly final clearance on 6 clutch high gear drum was .092 - .095 not 100% sure of that.

-
Back