904 interchange question

-

dartnlo

Has Dart Fever
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Will the transmission from a 1973 AMC Javelin with a 304 V8 work a 1972 Dart with a 318?

I was looking for a plug and pray solution to my slipping transmission. Can't find a 904 with less than 100k miles on it around here yet. If I'm going to be tearing one apart I'll just tear into my current one. I had coolant leak into the trans cooler about 8 months ago so I knew this day was coming. I always wanted rebuild/understand an automatic transmission. I've looked at manuals and videos, it looks like something I can tackle. Researching kits now.

I sorta understand them. One thing I do understand is that most people are very lucky if they can just take it apart and get it back together correctly the first time and without reinstalling bad hard parts. It's a mechanical/hydraulic machine that's affected by heat and pressure that has nothing in common with a car's engine. To top it off, the first fifty that you disassemble will be different in what they need. There are no books or videos out there that will prepare you with everything that you need to know so that you don't make any mistakes.

-
Back