904 Intermittent Problem

-

Valiant12

Reaction score
For my 904 torqueflite bolted to a 225 slant six in a 63 Valiant with 72,000 miles.

After idling at a long stoplight while in drive, started into intersection, trans lost all ability to transmit power, engine just revved. Pushbutton selector, tried all other gears, no result. Pushed car to parking lot. Checked trans fluid (in neutral with engine running) and it was at the correct level. Sat a while to think (5-10 minutes). Tried it again, and it worked fine. Drove home about several miles with no problems.

Any ideas what to do with this, other than an expensive trip to a transmission shop?

See my additional post on the trans cooler line, there may be an additional external filter in the line, not sure.

Thank you!

Valient 12, if Cuda Fact is correct, and he has a good track record, I have one of the early in-line filters and it is much much cheaper than the ones on ebay for $125. Holler if you need it.
Tom Hand

Start the engine up in reverse-rotation and drive the clog back into the bottom of the pan.Then hope it stays there.
kidding..

Actually, I'm not convinced it's a clogged filter, but there ain't a lot of other options. So; IDK

Valient 12, if Cuda Fact is correct, and he has a good track record, I have one of the early in-line filters and it is much much cheaper than the ones on ebay for $125. Holler if you need it.
Tom Hand
Thank you for the reply! I am new to working on cars this old, and I did not think to look on e-bay for NOS. I did see photos there of Chrysler Part #2400124, which looks exactly like what I have.

I did finally find this in my 63 Manual, and it says that "the filter has an integral relief valve, which permits fluid to by-pass the filter if the element becomes clogged." If that is true, would you still think it could be completely clogged, or enough to lose some pressure in the trans and have it not work at all? Also, CudaFact, could you chime in on this as well?

Clogged filter.
Thank you for the reply! I don't much about automatic transmissions. If you get a chance, could you explain to me how with a clogged filter, after sitting a while, it starts to work again? Can't wrap my head around the intermittent nature of the problem I had.

Also, in my reply to VOETOM, I found in the manual that "the filter has an integral relief valve, which permits fluid to by-pass the filter if the element becomes clogged." If that is true, would you still think it could be completely clogged, or enough to lose some pressure in the trans and have it not work at all?

As I said, I don't much about automatic transmissions, so any additional input is very valuable to me. Thanks again.

That's an excellent question. I think I would pull the pan at this point and see if it's all original equipment in there. I think what's going on is the fluid thins out when it gets hot and the pump can't suck it thru the clog like it can when the fluid is cooler and thicker. I've driven many mopars one mile at a time..

Well, looks like CudaFact was right all along... I finally dropped the pan and found that the wire mesh filter was completely clogged with sludge. There wasn't much sludge at all in the pan, it was all sucked up into the wire mesh filter. I cleaned the filter and pan, have not yet re-installed, but I think this will solve the problem. I will post a final reply when I verify. In the meantime, here's some photos...
DSCN1192.JPG
DSCN1194.JPG
DSCN1198.JPG
DSCN1199.JPG
DSCN1191.JPG

I bet that pan's never been off. That thin gasket and the way the edges are curled up. What's under that strawberry milk shake? Definite water intrusion to a degree.

My understanding is you can use the later filter but you have to use the later transmission pan also make sure you get a 2 hole filter as the early trans has a rear pump. Side note because of this you can push start this car.

Brian

Well, looks like CudaFact was right all along... I finally dropped the pan and found that the wire mesh filter was completely clogged with sludge. There wasn't much sludge at all in the pan, it was all sucked up into the wire mesh filter. I cleaned the filter and pan, have not yet re-installed, but I think this will solve the problem. I will post a final reply when I verify. In the meantime, here's some photos...

See below.

I bet that pan's never been off. That thin gasket and the way the edges are curled up. What's under that strawberry milk shake? Definite water intrusion to a degree.

Which is why the filter is clogged with clutch material.
Water/coolant dissolves the adhesive on the clutch plates and band.
That is a rebuild for sure, and running it could start adding metal to that milkshake which can permanently destroy hard parts making that trans a big pile of unrebuildable scrap metal.
That "strawberry milkshake" also indicates a leaking trans cooler inside the radiator.

After a rebuild AND a new converter he needs to either move to an external cooler and plug the radiator connections or replace the radiator.

Sorry for the bad news to the OP but there really isn't any way around it.

I don't know; that color looks pretty good. Some trans I take apart have rust all over the steel drums etc; even the outside of the band. That might be what clogged the filter; it's pretty chunky. That moisture might be from condensation over many years from short trips or just setting. But I would take a new dacron filter (not a screen) and cut the extra opening(s) in it.

Thought I would give a final update on this transmission issue.

Firstly, the photo I posted of the bottom of the trans pan looked funny due to sunlight reflections... it really was clear fluid and no water... though I did double check after the comments. Thankfully, no water leakage in the fluid.

I think CudaFact was right... I don't think the pan had ever been removed before... not bad for 56 years and 72,000 miles?

The stuff coating the filter was just very fine sludge coagulated into balls. Once I rubbed them between my fingers, they just smeared out into a really fine sludge... so no real chunks.

Bottom line... I reassembled with the cleaned filter screen, and it has run fine ever since.

Problem solved! Thank you for all of the instructive comments! Glad this forum exists!

-
Back