904 just gave up

-
AJ how did you do away with the gear vendors little black box?
I hot wired it,lol
I figured out what that box was doing, and figured out that the big boys couldn't race with one of those as slow as it shifted, so I put 12 volts into her directly and she barked the tires at 80 mph. BAM!! that thing shifts like lightening.
That box has at least 3 functions, that I could find
1) it prevents engagement in reverse; this kills the OD unit instantly.
2) it prevents an inshift before the pressure is high enough, and
3) it slows and softens the inshift.
Basically it seems to be just a time-delay relay.
So I put two small LEDs on my tach, A green one to indicate the OD was engaged, and a red one to show reverse had been selected, So now I am the ECU, and if I break the unit by reversing thru it, then I get to cough up the 50% of retail plus shipping, to rebuild it. And I did that exactly ONE time,ouch.I bought in at $2500IIRC
If the fluid level gets low, it will be slower still to inshift, and will fall out as the car slows down, into a false neutral, then backshift. If you leave it engaged, it will re-engage as the pressure comes up. With a stick it really bangs hard. With an auto, I could see someone mistake the false neutral to be in the trans. By the time you are stopped the GVOD will have dropped completely out, so it would all be normal. But it's still armed, so as the pressure comes back up, Bang! surprise!
I got the deep-sump model, cuz I knew sooner or later, the fluid level would get low, cuz I'm lazy on the checking of things. That gives me a bit more time between checking. My sump gasket has always seeped right from new, and did so even after it's rebuild.

I hot wired it,lol
I figured out what that box was doing, and figured out that the big boys couldn't race with one of those as slow as it shifted, so I put 12 volts into her directly and she barked the tires at 80 mph. BAM!! that thing shifts like lightening.
That box has at least 3 functions, that I could find
1) it prevents engagement in reverse; this kills the OD unit instantly.
2) it prevents an inshift before the pressure is high enough, and
3) it slows and softens the inshift.
Basically it seems to be just a time-delay relay.
So I put two small LEDs on my tach, A green one to indicate the OD was engaged, and a red one to show reverse had been selected, So now I am the ECU, and if I break the unit by reversing thru it, then I get to cough up the 50% of retail plus shipping, to rebuild it. And I did that exactly ONE time,ouch.I bought in at $2500IIRC
If the fluid level gets low, it will be slower still to inshift, and will fall out as the car slows down, into a false neutral, then backshift. If you leave it engaged, it will re-engage as the pressure comes up. With a stick it really bangs hard. With an auto, I could see someone mistake the false neutral to be in the trans. By the time you are stopped the GVOD will have dropped completely out, so it would all be normal. But it's still armed, so as the pressure comes back up, Bang! surprise!
I got the deep-sump model, cuz I knew sooner or later, the fluid level would get low, cuz I'm lazy on the checking of things. That gives me a bit more time between checking. My sump gasket has always seeped right from new, and did so even after it's rebuild.
I change my fluid every 1500 miles or around there. yep mine leaks a little too.
Sure would be nice to have you as a neighbor. I just got back from the auto parts store with new tranny fluid gonna put the pan back on and fill it up and try again.
I changed the fluid in the gear vendor yesterday, a little low but not bad and it was pretty clean

-
Back