904 Kickdown issues

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
I just recently did a /6 to 318 swap in my Dart.

I installed a used 904 that a nice fellow in Denver let me have for free. All I did to it was install new front and rear seals, selector shaft seal, and new filter and pan gasket.

The tranny is from a mid 70's scamp, and its working great in the dart except for one small issue. This trans seems to have the part throttle kickdown feature, which works great,,, if i'm cruising through town,,,30-35mph in high gear, give it a little gas and it kicks downshifts to 2nd, no problem.

However if I'm going like 40mph or above, the tranny wont shift down when I step on it, even if I floor it.

My first initial adjustment of the kickdown linkage was to prop the throttle all the way open, then crawl under and move the lever on the trans all the way back, then tighten down the clamp.

Do I need to play with the adjustment a little more, or is there some other issue with this trans ?

P.S. Car is 68 Dart, 318-4bbl, 904 auto with 3:23 gears in back.

you shouldent have to adjust the lever on the tranny, that should be set by a flat spot inthe shaft.

the adjustment comes from the linkage, what kind ya got???

if you adjusted it at the tranny you could have essentially lowered the TV valve pressure...

my suggestion:
go back and loosten that bracket, swivel it around if ya cant see it till it hits the flat spot, ighten it.
pull throttle all the way back and make sure the kickdown is all the way back, or within 1/4"

if you lowered your pressure, you could be hurting that tranny, if i read that right...

Check and make sure the carb is open all the way, when the gas pedal is on the floor. Adj that first. Then readjust the kick down linkage, the way you did. If everything is adjusted that way, and you still do not have full throttle down shift, try adjusting the trans linlage just SLIGHTLY longer.

-
Back