904 kickdown

-

Cmizz

Reaction score
I have a 66 Dodge Dart with the original slant six, 904 transmission. I converted it to a "Super 6" 2 barrel, with the appropriate linkage. I have adjusted the linkage several times, but am still having problems. The transmission slips when cold between 1st and 2nd. Once it warms up, it shifts fine, but at no point do I have any downshift. It will lug the engine in 3rd gear unless I manually downshift it. There is also no passing gear. My instinct is that it is the linkage, but as I mentioned I have tried adjusting it many times and can't solve the problem. Is there a band adjustment that would help? Thanks for any input.

Was the transmission behaving correctly with the previous carb and linkage?

The correct base adjustment to start with is when the carb is at full throttle the trans lever should be pushed all the way back. If it hangs in gear too long before it shifts back off the adjustment 1 turn at a time until you get it right.

Also check to make sure when you press the throttle to the floor the carb is going wide open

Make sure it's at least to the full mark.
Thank you. The car wasn't running when I bought it. I went through it, rebuilt the engine and transmission, and decided to upgrade to the 2 barrel manifold/carb. I'm getting the impression that the general consensus is that the linkage is the problem, which is what I think too. I thought maybe the kickdown band needs adjustment as well. I guess I'll keep playing with the linkage and see if I get any better results. At this point it's just trial and error.

The correct base adjustment to start with is when the carb is at full throttle the trans lever should be pushed all the way back. If it hangs in gear too long before it shifts back off the adjustment 1 turn at a time until you get it right.

Also check to make sure when you press the throttle to the floor the carb is going wide open
reread this; it doesn't have to be trial and error.
Carb at WOT, Throttle lever on trans, all the way back. Lock them together. If this is not possible, then you have wrong ratio levers. Do not put much power into the trans until you get this working right, or you will fry the normal wear parts.
However, the no downshift troubles me. It may be a faulty governor, a separate problem, ot it is telling the truth that the throttle pressure is very low.

My 62 Dart was like that so I took the valve body apart and found a missing check ball. Put one in and got kickdown.

-
Back