904 multi spring pack questions

-

Turbosmblk

Reaction score
Ok guy not actually a 904, it’s a 88 model a500 but figured I’d get more views titling it as a 904 because they are internally the same. I’m installing the multi spring pack and have run into some clearance issues. Front drum is a 5 clutch unit and to my knowledge the trans had never been into as it still had the thick clutches in the drum. I’m using a cope spring pack and when the spring pack is fully compressed on the drum I still don’t have clearance to install the snap ring. I have taken pics for a better understanding of what I’ve got going on as well as measurements for the thickness, and step in the retainers. Both retainers measure the same thickness and both steps are the same depth, I made sure I verified there wasn’t a “up” or a “down”. The factory spring base isn’t flat. It was machined on a taper don’t know if the earlier drums had a defined step or if they were tapered as well. Thanks for any and everyone’s help.

IMG_1483.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

IMG_1485.jpeg

IMG_1487.jpeg

IMG_1486.jpeg

I'd measure the OD of the cast aluminum piston where the multi-spring bottom retainer is supposed to slide over, and I'd measure the ID of the lower retainer. It appears the retainer is not fitting all the way down onto the apply piston.

I have seen them fit right on some 904 high gear apply pistons. If you measure the pieces you can cut the bottom retainer, or the piston slightly in a lathe.. you may only need a few thou to get it to fit.

Last edited:
I'd measure the OD of the cast aluminum piston where the multi-spring bottom retainer is supposed to slide over, and I'd measure the ID of the lower retainer. It appears the retainer is not fitting all the way down onto the apply piston. It appears to be incorrectly manufactured.
That makes perfect sense as it’s not going below the step on the drum. Don’t know why I didn’t catch that to begin with. I will call cope tomorrow. Thank you

I have installed a few of those, and have not had any problems.

So, after talking with Cope I reciieved 2 top halves. No big deal. I could’ve machined the one I had but I have to send a band core and valve body core back to him anyway so he’s shipping a bottom piece then I will send him back the top piece I had. Thanks everybody

stuff like that will drive you crazy! .

-
Back