-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varment

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I need a Neutral Safety Switch for my Valiant's transmission due to shorting it out. Does anyone have one? The attached photo is what mine looks like.

detail_2839_12410ar.jpg

User here SedanMan listed a couple of used ones available

I have some used ones too. I'm curious about one that has "shorted out". I've only seen bad ones that had an open circuit. What are the symptoms? It starts in all gears?
Thanks, Mark

The car would not start at all with it shorted out...I ended up just having to by pass it on the relay by just grounding the wire that goes to it. The car runs fine without it I just would like it for safety reasons if the wife ever has to drive the car and decides it would be fun to start it in drive...

The car would not start at all with it shorted out...I ended up just having to by pass it on the relay by just grounding the wire that goes to it. The car runs fine without it I just would like it for safety reasons if the wife ever has to drive the car and decides it would be fun to start it in drive...

If shorting it to ground at the switch doesn't make it start it's a wiring problem between the switch and relay.

The switch make a connection like any switch. It can fail.

I know napa has the 3 post combination switch. If they stock the single post/function switch that's news to me.

The switch make a connection like any switch. It can fail.

That's true but in his 2nd posting he said it didn't even start when he bypassed the switch. Only when he bypassed it at the relay did it start. That's why it has to be a wiring problem between the NSS and relay.

I know napa has the 3 post combination switch. If they stock the single post/function switch that's news to me.

That's true. They don't sell the old single pole switch anymore.

That's what I suspected....an open. Those switches are NOT like every other switch. In fact it's not really a switch at all! It does not make or break a circuit like other switches. It allows electricity to pass through it via an internal, spring loaded plunger. The circuit is made and broken by the contact with the rooster comb inside the transmission. Park and neutral don't have a plastic insulator over their section so the circuit is completed, which grounds the starter relay circuit and allows it to activate. You can verify it's the switch and not a broken wire by removing the wire at the neutral safety switch and grounding the wire. If it starts now, it's the switch. Just make sure it's in park or neutral!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back