904 No Reverse

-

camd64

Remember Landy
Reaction score
Ok, so I just went out to move the Dart for street sweeping. After a couple cranks from sitting for the last week it fired up but didn't seem to rev up like usual, not a big deal I was thinking. Then I go to put it in gear but I didn't feel it engaging through the gear changes? I let it run for about 5 min. or so (mind you it still doesn't seem to rev up) then I go to pull it into the driveway but it won't go into reverse? WTF! I check the fluid and it is full and doesn't smell funky. I ran it again through the gears and went under it to look at the lines for any kinks but it still doesn't feel like it even tries to go into reverse. This thing only has like 5k on it. any ideas?

also on a side note while I was under it I noticed the trans. was pretty hot to the touch. is that normal considering only a 5 min. or so idle time with no actual driving involved?

Mine's the same.
I haven't done anything with it yet because I'm working on the rest of the car
first.
It did move in the other gear though.
Maybe some one here could shed a little light.
I was told it could be the low and reverse band.

low reverse band...

low reverse servo...

band strut...

Does it have all 3 forward gears? If so it's a problem with the rear band, servo, or strut like Tony said. If it only has 1st and 2nd gears and no 3rd gear and reverse it's a front clutch problem.

BTW: has it been working properly up until now and this just happened?

so here is the latest news. I don't know if it has just first or what due to the fact that now its actually stalling the motor out. after running it for about another 10 min. or so the fluid is still brite red but is starting to smell burned. I think something let go in a big way.

Fishy: it was working perfectly fine before today. upshift, downshift everything was working great.

Its a non-lockup. I really hope its something simple if I am out of warranty. I bought it a while back so a buddy of mine who deals with this supplier regularly is going to talk to them tomorrow. well, if not I always wanted to rebuild one of these myself. just didn't see it being this soon.

not yet, I called the place I bought it from and they are checking out what happened to see if they will warranty it. In the mean time Im pricing everything out in case I end up rebuilding it myself. I didn't see anything when I dropped the pan but the coverter felt tight when I tried to spin it. Hopefully its something they are willing to at least work with me on. :bs:

Thanks for the link Tracy! :thumblef:

get a service manual,low reverse band adjustment,tighten to 72 inch pounds and then loosen amount shown in service manual for your engine as shown in manual.that adjustment is inside of the trans and the other band adjustment is on the outside and should be done also...hope this is helpful

-
Back