904 not shifting Help

-

tony frost

Reaction score
I recently put a 318 and 904 out of another dart into my s-6 dart. With tranny out I changed the filter and all new fluid adjusted the Kickdown band and the low reverse band according to the Haynes repair manual. Car goes into all gears ok. The problem is in drive frome dead stop taking off up to about 45-50 I don't feel the car shifting. From dead stop in low 1 and shifting manualey car goes into all gears and I can feel it shifting. 1 to 2 shifts fine, 2 - drive a little pause but shift in good. Work fine in the old car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some transmissions shift so soft you won't actually feel it. Do you hear an rpm change with the engine? That would be a tell tale of it shifting. Like Kim said you also may need to adjust the kick down linkage. If it's backed off it'll make it shift early and soft. I always start with it adjusted so that when the engine is at wide open throttle the kickdown linkage is all the way back. Most of the time it's ok at that setting but some will rev to high between shifts so you have to back it off a little at a time and road test it each time to get it set where you like it.

No I don't hear the rpms changing. When I shift it manualy I can hear the rpms chang and feel it shift. I guess I'll start with the kickdown adjustment using the old Haynes help book.

..........taking off in 3rd gear, not shifting at all........then the governor is sticking...............kim...........

Maybe temporarily hook a tachometer to it to better judge what gear it is in. You could use an old rpm-dwell meter if you have one, just clip from coil- to gnd. If you floor it at low speed, does it down-shift? My Newport doesn't unless I totally floor it, but that is after I changed from 2 bbl to a 4bbl intake w/ Holley TBI, so I can't get my kickdown link long enough. I'll improve it someday, but for years I have just manually shifted to 2 when I really need to move, otherwise the BB just torques its way out, as Harley riders do. It probably gives better mileage as is.

It may just be what Kim said at first, the kickdown needs adjusted. It could be so far out it shifts right into 2nd then 3rd immediately after take off. I'd check that first. As far as adjusting it according to the Haynes manual, I hope it's right. I've seen so many mistakes in Haynes manuals I won't bother looking at one again. Like I said earlier all you really need to do is make sure the kickdown rod goes all the way back when the throttle is wide open. Then drive it. Most of the time their ok set like that but once in a while they'll hang to long before shifting so you have to back it off a little. Try that and let us know what happens.

-
Back