904 or 727

-

Sublime69

Reaction score
i need to get a trans built for my car but im not sure what way to go. I would like to stick with a 904 because it will use less power to turn but the cost is going to be higher also how much power can a 904 hold??? Or i can save money and build a 727 but loose power.

BTW: i have a small block with a procharger running about 550-600 hp.

Well, to take 600hp neither one will be cheap.

The 904 will cost extra money to gain the required durability, where it's a little more "built in" in the 727. A few here say there is only a 15-20 hp difference between them at the tires.

So I guess the question is: How much is 20hp worth to you? A few of the more experieinced guys can give you a better idea.

superdart said:
Well, to take 600hp neither one will be cheap.

The 904 will cost extra money to gain the required durability, where it's a little more "built in" in the 727. A few here say there is only a 15-20 hp difference between them at the tires.

So I guess the question is: How much is 20hp worth to you? A few of the more experieinced guys can give you a better idea.

Ya i just have to think if its worth the extra money to built a 904. But it needs to be realiable bvecause i put alot of miles on the car in the summer. I drive it all over. i dont want to have to freshin it up twice a year.

i have a newer 904 from MP. in it now and it ate that trans up in about 700 miles!

Since you wouldn't be giving up that much power, I would say get the 727. 904s can be made to handle the power...but they are hideously expensive. I've heard of a guys paying $2-3,000 for a racing 904.

BTW - Awesome looking car!!:wav:

First --- Love your '69 Dart!

Since you are in the Midwest, a good tranny guy to check with would be John Cope of Cope Racing Transmissions. Google Cope Racing Transmissions
for the internet site. Also try www.moparts.com for more info.

John is a sponsor of several Mopar boards, races his own Mopars, and has a very experienced, highly regarded shop.

He will not steer you wrong! He builds GREAT transmissions!

Tell him what you are trying to get out of the tranny, the man is honest and fairly priced.

Another thing to consider is how much weight will you save by going 904? Is worth the difference in cost when you already have 550-600 HP on tap? You have plenty of power.

IMO, if you spend the majority of time on the drag strip, it may be worth the extra cost for a built 904. But if you are primarily on the street, 727 would be a sensible choice.

the nice thing about your '69 is either trans will fit without bashing the tunnel. With that power, a 727 would be a better choice.

Thanks for all the info guys! i guess i just call around and see what differnt shops recomend. Also, i would really like to keep my column shifter so i dont want a full manual vavle body, but it seems all the trans's that are built to handle over 500hp are full manual? Anyone know why this is?

-
Back