904 or rear axle runs jerky help!

-

mopar_persson

Body Bag
Reaction score
hello i have some problems with my dodge b250 van-88.
my problem seems to lie in the automatic gearbox or rear axle
when you shift into gear and drive slowly it starts to jerk really bad, the engine runs good, no problems there. where could the problem be? the oil in the transmission is old and a bit dark colored.

I know its not an a-body but thought you might be able to help me anyway

I may be way off base here, but could it possibly be a separated tire ?

That's a good guess C. Tires can do some crazy stuff when a belt breaks.

If it's not a tire I'd suspect the rearend more than the trans. Maybe a broken tooth on a ring gear. Have you taken it up to speed? If so how does it do, any bad noises? If it's a rearend you could probably diagnose that by jacking it up and setting it on stands and turn the wheels by hand to feel if the rearend has any tight spots. I've even seen brakes come apart and jam up against the drum and cause it to jerk, but that usually causes quite a bit of noise also.

................the lock up converter could be locking up...........ive had it happen a few times..kim..

Yup, I had that happen on a slant 6 pickup. It felt like you were dumping the clutch. It got to where when you put it in gear it would stall.

okey i will look at that :) it feels like the rear axle is loose, I have not tried to driven fast with the car jet,

If the reear has a limited slip differential - jack the rear tires off the ground and try to turn them with the trans in Neutral. If you feel it binding, that's youre problem. If the rear doesn't have a limited slip have a friend turn the opposie side wheel at the same time to make sure it's a good test. If it's all smooth - it's in the trans.
A broken brake shoe or return spring can give the same issues.

-
Back