904 problems

-

wicked340

Reaction score
Hi guys was wondering if any of you guys have ever ran in to this, I have a 904 in my duster behind a healthy small block that is skipping 2nd gear, will go right from 1st to 3rd, if you manually pull in to 2nd it will go to a neutral like state unless slow enough will go to 1st, I was thinking maybe a valve body issue but not sure, I am a mechanic and know a bit but not a ton about automatics

Have you checked the adjustment of the band?....mine want to drop pan and see lever is still engaged...

Have you checked the adjustment of the band?....mine want to drop pan and see lever is still engaged...

X2, adjustment check of the front band first as if the adjustment is too loose it will simply skip second.
If you can't get the adjustment to work right the band or strut is probably broken and you should see that by pulling the pan.
If the band broke it's pull the trans time. (you can't replace the band without pulling the pump)

Is your oil still nice and red? Dropping the pan, and pulling on the lever will tell you what you need to know.

Yea still red and doesn't smell burnt, and it doesn't slip a bit, just won't use second gear

I've seen it and it's usually what the guys said. I've even seen guys drop the pan and find the band strut has fallen out cause the band got so loose

I've Seen this a few times & have to agree with previous posts. When you drop the pan & dont find the band strut, (If it has fallen out ) fish around on top of the valve body. Good chance it is laying around on there.

I've seen it and it's usually what the guys said. I've even seen guys drop the pan and find the band strut has fallen out cause the band got so loose

I've Seen this a few times & have to agree with previous posts. When you drop the pan & dont find the band strut, (If it has fallen out ) fish around on top of the valve body. Good chance it is laying around on there.

Right on the nose guys. :D

Front band servo pistons use metal rings, so they never just quit sealing all of a sudden.
They also can't over travel or flip sideways like a rear band servo does.
This is going to be pretty obvious when he see's it, as either the adjuster as backed off so far it skips second all together, or the strut fell out from being too loose, or the band broke.

With the pan off I adjust the band by sticking just the tip of my index finger between the servo pin tip and the band apply lever and tighten the adjuster down till it starts to hurt my fingernail and lock her down. :D
Of course others have smaller or larger fingers.

-
Back