904 pushbutton conversion

-

Optik

Reaction score
hey everyone!
is it possible to convert a later v-8 904 trans to work with a pushbutton shifter? i have a '77 v8 904 and a '64 /6 pushbutton 904 to work with and i'd like to make the later trans work with my pushbutton setup if possible to get rid of the ugly b&m floor shifter. the car (64 dart) has had the /6 removed and replaced with a 360, the trans came with it so its the factory original trans for that motor. both transmissions are out of the car right now, i'm rebuilding the late one so its already blown apart and if i need to do mods i figured now would be the time.
thanks in advance for your help!
-tim

you need to score a 65 v8 small block trans,they are cable shift and use a slip yoke on the trans,also you could use the front pump and input shaft to give you more converter choises.

you need to score a 65 v8 small block trans,they are cable shift and use a slip yoke on the trans,also you could use the front pump and input shaft to give you more converter choises.

Nope, Don't know about a 727, but the 904 in 65 has a flange output shaft. I think I answered this question, on another board, recently. Also on the 65 trans, it would be necessary to use a 64 valve body to use the PB shifter, or make some minor mods to the 65 valve body.

There is a company that is making a conversion kit to use a PB shifter on the later (77) trans. I think it is Imperial services.

can i swap pushbutton internals (valve body, etc) from the PB /6 case to the later v-8 case?
thanks
-tim

can i swap pushbutton internals (valve body, etc) from the PB /6 case to the later v-8 case?
thanks
-tim

No, Valve bodies are not totally interchanable. As changes were made to the transmission to improve them, Valve bodies were also modified. The valve bodies can be swapped within a certain year range, but not installing a 64 or 65 valve body into a 66 or later trans.

ok thank you very much. i guess i need to stick with the ugly B&M shifter for a while then.
i really appreciate your guys' help. this board is a GREAT resource thanks to the members here!
you all rock!
-tim

Good morning FABO.
Does anyone know if anyone makes the pushbutton conversion kit for a later model 727 tranny? Maybe someone has one they are willing to part with.

I don't know for sure, but I think the PB shifter conversion should fit both the 904 and 727 trans. In the later non PB years the valve bodies will interchange between both transmissions within a given year range.
Contact these people. Imperial Services - '60-'76 A-Body Parts
Apparently, A&A Transmissions sells these conversion cables, but they say they are for 62-65 B bodies. I'm checking to see if they work on A bodies as well.
Push Button Conversion Cable Set for 1966-Up Torqueflite in a 1962-65 Vehicle - A&A Transmissions

Imperial Services hasn't been around in awhile. If you want to run a push button shifter, you need a push button trans. As mentioned 1965 is the only year with a standard style slip yoke. But you need to use the manual valve, rooster comb and neutral switch from a 62-64 push button car. Or a entire 64 valve body. As long as it is a 77 or earlier non lock trans the later pump, front drum, and input shaft will retrofit to the push button trans allowing the use of the factory 360 converter.
Doug

. As mentioned 1965 is the only year with a standard style slip yoke.
Sorry, not correct. First year for the slip yoke on the 904 trans was 1966. The 1965 904 trans had the flanged output shaft, small input shaft, and a cable shifted valve body, that was the 1965 only. However the 65 valve body can be swapped out to the 64 down VB to make it work with a PB shifter. The 65 valve body can also be modified (manual valve, rooster comb, and neutral safety switch) to make it work with the PB shifter.
Just a FYI, the 64 valve body cannot be easily modified to work with a 1965 column or floor shifter. The 65 manual valve will not fit in the 64 valve body.
My 66 Cuda had a 1965 904 trans, with a 1964 valve body, 64 PB shifter in a floor consol between the seats. It also had a 1968 V-8 front internal section, to get the larger input shaft and the larger clutch pack. Another FYI: you cannot install the low gear set in a 1965 or older 904 without major mods to the trans.

Last edited:
-
Back