904 Questiions

-

rgp266

Reaction score
1) Number on the pan rail is 3681063 4365 3313

2) Also had 373726 on a slightly raised pad on the right upper side of the bell.

My '73 service manual lists it as a 318 trans and a stock converter should stall in the 2125 to 2425 RPM range. What model year range used this transmission? There is no number on the converter that I can find. I measured the converter at the vertical piece where the ring gear attaches and got 11 3/8" and according to the book that is wrong. Where is the correct place to measure converter diameter? Assuming the correct diameter is 10 3/4" and the stall figures listed are reasonably correct what duration cam would you folks suggest? '65 Valiant 2-door post mostly a cruiser with factory roller cam LA 318 engine, roughly 9 to 1 compression, currently a 600 CFM Carter on a performer intake, 3.23 rear gears. May step the engine up to a Good 360 cast style neutral balance crank for a MOPAR 347 combination.

Thanks................

Bob

MY Mopar trans guide shows the 3681063 as late 72-73 Barracuda 318.That's all I could find.I may be wrong but the converter size such as ''10'' may be measured as a inside diameter. Don't know for sure.

Factory TCs often have a little colored dot painted on somewhere. The dot codes for the stall. I think they were rated rather ambiguously as low, or hi. I dont know anymore than that, as I'm a stick-man.

As to the cam size, I'd tend to leave in there whatever is currently in there.Same with the TC. Its a cruiser. Drive it. See what you dont like.If you go too big on the cam, without bringing up the Dcr, the bottom end will go soft. Then you will need a higher stall TC, or gears, or both. Changing a cam can be an expensive deal.
The '65 is very light, and doesnt need much to motorvate it.And the roller motors were stronger than the old teeners....
You could try some 3.55s before you do anything, and a free-flowing exhaust.The 3.55s will get you off the line briskly, and then if the stall is close , the teener will be fun, as is.
This assumes you have already driven it with the 3.23s, and were not satisfied. If you havent yet driven it with the 3.23s, then wait. The 3.55s can go in later. So can a higher stall TC. So can a bigger cam.

AJ......I have driven it for 4 years with the 3.23 gears, they are not an issue. I would almost like to go with a set of 2.94 gears to get the freeway RPM down. The engine currently (according to the fellow that built the engine) has the lowest level of MP performance cam that was available at the time, probably 10 to 12 years ago.

No paint dot on the trans case that I can find. I would guess that the stall range is more related to the weight of the car it is installed in than anything else. The biggest issue with the current transmission in the car is that it is, or was, a lock-up 904 that is not functioning. Plan is to get that trans/converter out of there and put the trans/converter I have on the barn floor in there. This trans was, according to the seller, behind a "stout" 340 in a '73/4 A body car that saw action at Milan Drag Way down near Detroit. The car owner supposedly got nervous thinking the 904 was too weak and switched to a 727. Muscle Motors referred me to a local guy that is supposed to be good with Chrysler Transmissions so I will get him to unzip it, do a inspection, fix what might ail it, do some shift modifications, paper and rubber it, and do the swap this winter.

Bob

-
Back