904 question

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
i have a 72 904 340 car trans.. what other years of 904s will work with TC or are they all the same for the tc splins. i have a new TC and i dont want to get a new one cause splines are wrong

The snouts for the transmissions changed diameter from 65 to 66...

If you find a 66 or later trans, you should be ok...

The one that I posted a link to in your other thread should work... You should get the torque converter with it also JIC....

i have a 72 904 340 car trans.. what other years of 904s will work with TC or are they all the same for the tc splins. i have a new TC and i dont want to get a new one cause splines are wrong
NON LOCKUP converters 1968 - up 27spline.
LOCKUP converters 26 spline.
Early 904"s 18 spline.

The snouts for the transmissions changed diameter from 65 to 66...

If you find a 66 or later trans, you should be ok...

The one that I posted a link to in your other thread should work... You should get the torque converter with it also JIC....
i dont think his TC would work considering is a 3500 stall i have.

so mine would be 27 spines since its non lock up..
thanks for the help

Are you sure about that being a 72 904 from behind a 340? I don't recall Chrysler ever using a 904 behind a 340. You may want to check the numbers again

Not sure what year the trans is. I'm just looking for a 904 that is non lock up that I can rebuild and use on my 340. What other vehicals would habe a 904 in them so I can look in a junk yard locally. My biggest concern is that I need to be able to use my TC. 27 spline non locking.

Not sure what year the trans is. I'm just looking for a 904 that is non lock up that I can rebuild and use on my 340. What other vehicals would habe a 904 in them so I can look in a junk yard locally. My biggest concern is that I need to be able to use my TC. 27 spline non locking.
They were put in virtually all Mopar vehicles. Cars, vans, trucks. Just look for a small block transmission, built after 1968, lockups came on board around 1978.

Now what about updated internals. Would trhere be an advantage going with a new one like a 77 then with a 70?

so reading all the treads on 904 builds i got a few notes.. if they are wrong please correct me. would i need a new gear pump with a HP build? should i get new bushings?

- to put 5 clutches and discs in the direct they need to be .061 clutches and .068 steels. i will have to get my pressure plate machined down on the edge so i can get clearance once the snap ring is installed. will i need different thickness snap ring? (Red racing frictions and Kolene steels)
- 5 clutches in the front arent needed.
- go with a 3.8 ratio band arm.
- rebuild the sprag, bolt in isnt needed cause in a 904 they are already bolted or riveted into place.
- 24 Spring Return Module
- transgo TF2 kit
- put the clutches and steels in dry while trying to get the proper clearance. once clearance is achieved take apart soak in ATF then reassemble.

in lieu of the 24 spring kit...ATI sells a return spring that is wound the opposite of the oem spring for 20 dollars plus shipping..

been using stock disc and steels in bracket racing 904 for years...

so reading all the treads on 904 builds i got a few notes.. if they are wrong please correct me. would i need a new gear pump with a HP build? should i get new bushings?

- to put 5 clutches and discs in the direct they need to be .061 clutches and .068 steels. i will have to get my pressure plate machined down on the edge so i can get clearance once the snap ring is installed. will i need different thickness snap ring? (Red racing frictions and Kolene steels)
- rebuild the sprag, bolt in isnt needed cause in a 904 they are already bolted or riveted into place.
- transgo TF2 kit
- put the clutches and steels in dry while trying to get the proper clearance. once clearance is achieved take apart soak in ATF then reassemble.

You will not need a new pump, if you want to run 5 clutch set up, check A&A transmissions they have all the correct clutchs and steels you will need. i use a 4.2 lever, but it may depend on what valve body you use.

As long as you figure your clearance correctly and had the pressure plate milled accordingly you won't need a different selective snap ring.
In only extreme cases IMO
I use a 4.2 or 5.0 in 904's because they have a smaller front drum and band with less apply area. I also use the widest front band I can find which is usually 1-5/8" wide
Correct
As Tony said the reverse wound spring will work and save you money
- transgo TF2 kit
Yes
Yes

Check your pump for leakage real careful. The last 2 904's I did had warped pumps.

-
Back