904 questions

-

FlamesAreWicked

Reaction score
68 Dart, 318 with a 904 trans..fire the car up and put it in D, you’ll take off fine and you’ll hear and feel an up shift, but not a second one. While on the highway doing 60mph, it doesn’t sound like it’s turning enough RPM to say be in second still. I don’t have a tach so I can’t verify what it’s actually doing at speed. It’s geared really tall as these were typically. So either it’s up shifting quickly and unnoticeable or it’s skipping 2nd. Am I pretty much in store for a rebuild?

If ya manually put it in first and up shift it yourself, it doesn’t rev freely like if there is no 2nd. As I mentioned before, I don’t have a tach to know what rpm I’m turning at speed but it’s not screening as if I was not in top gear.

With all of that being said, what are people paying for a trans rebuild these days. I know most prefer just to drop it off out of the car but I don’t have the space or ability to pull it out..

Any advice or pointers are welcomed.

I checked the lockdown linkage and it’s set right at the carb. Also, if it matters, the indicator needle on the column is missing but I’ve driven enough of older cars to know how to put it in gear, reverse, neutral, etc ..

The possibility that it’s going into 2nd staying there could be the case since it has tall rear gears and it’s not screaming ay 50-60mph.. I just don’t know lol

With 25.5" tires and the standard 2.76 gears, 65= 2368@ zeroslip, say up to 2440 on the tach. Kicking it down manually should get you ~3600 which, while not screaming, is easily noticed as abnormal.

More likely is that First gear is not working, which would be really sluggish on take off.

Occasionally the Second gear band goes so far out of adjustment, that Second gear no longer works. There is an adjuster, on the side of the trans, that you can get to from the outside. Unlock the lock-nut, lightly tighten the bolt, then back it off ~2 turns and see what happens. If this gets you going, somebody will get you the exact procedure; which, for a DD, is not nearly as critical as some say.
If the bolt will not tighten up;
the anchor may already have fallen out, and the only way to get it back is to drop the pan, find it, re-install it, then adjust the band.

With 25.5" tires and the standard 2.76 gears, 65= 2368@ zeroslip, say up to 2440 on the tach. Kicking it down manually should get you ~3600 which, while not screaming, is easily noticed as abnormal.

More likely is that First gear is not working, which would be really sluggish on take off.

Occasionally the Second gear band goes so far out of adjustment, that Second gear no longer works. There is an adjuster, on the side of the trans, that you can get to from the outside. Unlock the lock-nut, lightly tighten the bolt, then back it off ~2 turns and see what happens. If this gets you going, somebody will get you the exact procedure; which, for a DD, is not nearly as critical as some say.
If the bolt will not tighten up;
the anchor may already have fallen out, and the only way to get it back is to drop the pan, find it, re-install it, then adjust the band.
Great info.. thanks!

-
Back