904 rebuild & converter recommendations

-

66dartgt

Reaction score
After posting a few weeks ago, on freshening up a stored trans.... I decided to rebuild the 904 (73/318 dart original app) for my 66 dart.

Years ago I had rebuilt a 727 using a B&M transkit, with what I thought was a pretty good result. Is the B&M transkit still a good choice or is there something better to use these days?

I am also interested in a torque converter recommendation. The motor is a warmed over 318 making somewhere between 300 and 350 hp, a 323 sure grip rear axle and the body is 66 dart vert. I am looking for a reasonable cruiser type vehicle, that will occassionally be driven on longer trips...like maybe to the nats this year ?Haha maybe, we'll see ......And also the occassional tire burning experiment and stop light abuse....

All replies appreciated !

:salut:

B&M is old technology as far as their shift improver technology goes. The Trans-go kits are light years ahead of them. They cost about twice as much but as the old saying goes "You gets what you pays for". The thing is not only do you get a better shift quality but your trans lasts longer due to less overlap during shifts. They address many shortcoming areas that most shift improver kits don't. Now the B&M friction plates may be good quality, I'm not really sure what they use. At the power level your talking about making you really only need good quality stock friction plates. If I were you I'd check with Chris at Andrews racing transmissions to see what he would recommend. He's real sharp. Here's the website. http://www.andrewsracingtrans.com/Transmissions/727/index.html
Another place I've ordered from with excellent results is Hensley's Performance.
http://hensleyperformance.com/index.php?type=1e
A mopar performance converter will probably do you just fine at your power level also. I've used them with good results on applications up to 400 HP. They have 3 stall sizes to match to your engine combo.

i would go witrh a trans go kit.. my trans guy swears by them... as far as the convertor goes maybe a MP 175K. i know a couple friends that are running them and they really work nice for the type of use you say. maybe call a couple of the good convertor companies and see what they recomend..

-
Back