904 shift kit for road racing

-

mackwagon

Reaction score
I'm leading up a team in Nor cal to run a 72 Valiant in 24 Hours of Lemons or Chump Car racing. See more info here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=165580&highlight=lemons

I'm looking for information/recommendations on which shift kit to put into the 904 transmission. We are road racers, we run on Sear Point, Thunderhill, Reno Fernley, Laguna Seca, ButtonWillow racetracks. The racing is enduro format (2 days 7-8 hours) or full 24 hours endurance racing with fueling stops and driver changes.

I'm leaning toward a Transgo TF-2 Kit, which should firm up the shifts and downshift to low under no load (coast). I read that the TF-2 also allows the driver to select a gear and it stays in that gear until the shift lever is moved to D or a higher or lower gear, anybody know if that is correct?

I was looking at the full shift TF-3, but I'm worried about the drivers downshifting to early when entering corners, forcing an engine over-rev and blowing things up. Comments??

TIA

My good friend Marc Maksimow runs Lemons ("Cheetohs") ! Fun stuff :D .

You're right-on track with choosing Trans-Go ! They make the BEST shift kits / reprogrammers , bar none .

Can't go wrong with the Trans-go TF-2. Yes it has the feature of being able to downshift to any gear at any speed and hold it in any gear as long as you want. It's called the "shift command" feature, kind of an add on feature because not everyone needs it so you can do or or you can skip it.

doesnt matter, both kits are capable of manual low at any speed. the driver will have to relize this and adjust.

-
Back