904 Shift Kit?

-

Edfury426

Pentastar Powered!
Reaction score
I have a '67 Barracuda convertible with a 904. I understand that '68 and newer are considered better 904's, but I'm only running a 273 Commando and trying to work with what I have.

My question is, assuming I stay with my '67 904, what "shift kit" would be best for casual driving? I have been a Mopar guy all my adult life and do appreciate a nice shift. Not too harsh, but firm. I believe the old D.C. Performance book referred to it as being like the firm thunk of an axe going into a block of wood... or something like that, lol!

They probably all achieve something like that, I just don't know which does it the best way. The costs range from around $40.00 to $150.00 so they are all affordable enough.

Any thoughts or suggestions, maybe links to a thread about this, would be appreciated,
Thanks. Ed.

Thanks abodyjoe, that looks like a good one...in the middle of the price range...

I forgot to mention also I have column shift, so it would be nice if the trans could still prevent me from hitting first gear at high speed.

Most of these kits state that once installed, you can downshift at any speed. I do like that I can downshift, which I think is what a '67 904 won't do stock, just don't want to blow things up!

I don't think that one is manual valve body. Keep it in drive and go. With a forward pattern you will hit neutral before hitting first at high speeds. You would have to knowingly be downshifting to hit first gear

I don't think that one is manual valve body. Keep it in drive and go. With a forward pattern you will hit neutral before hitting first at high speeds. You would have to knowingly be downshifting to hit first gear

I just ordered the TF-1 shift kit that you recomended, and this Deep Aluminum Pan with aluminum filter adapter too!

Summit Racing SME-1010R Summit Racing® Manufacturing Aluminum Transmission Pans | Summit Racing

Thanks again abodyjoe. Btw, nice seat on that bike, lol!

I just ordered the TF-1 shift kit that you recomended, and this Deep Aluminum Pan with aluminum filter adapter too!

Summit Racing SME-1010R Summit Racing® Manufacturing Aluminum Transmission Pans | Summit Racing

Thanks again abodyjoe. Btw, nice seat on that bike, lol!

I'm sure anybody who's been around has read this already, but I just found it, and it really helped me to understand what is going on with shift kits.

Added for posterity;

Torqueflite automatic transmission modifications

Edfury, this has a lot of updates to that original article.

fullsizeoutput_4af6.jpeg

-
Back