904 to 360?

-

willyj

Reaction score
What do I need to get to put a 904 behind a 360?

Have a 66 barracuda that I want to drop a 360 in. I would like to keep the 904 in there after I have it gone through.

external B&M flex plate and i think thats all

And why???

DB15 is close, heres why.

The 360 is an extrnal balance engine. To use a 360 with a 904 will require the use of it's stock torque converter and damper. Or a aftermarket torque converter and damper that works on a 360 as like the stock parts do. AKA balanced the same way. Not internally balanaced

IF, the current 904 trans is in use with a 273/318/340 internally balanced engine, as these are balanced this way stock from the factory, there torque converter and balancer are made for use with them, not a 360.

The B&M flex plate is for use with a 360 and a internal balnced converter. This is a cheap and easy way to install the 360 and go.

IF the 360 has the torque converter with it, just use it and bolt it in.

I have the stock 904 converter.

I would rather get a new converter. Sooo..... All I need to do then is get a new converter for a 360/727 combo and it will go in my 904 just fine?

The 727 and 904 have different sized bell housings?

I'd just order a converter for a 360 external balanced engine for use with a non lock up 904.

Your over complocating things.

LOL, the fact the 360 came from a 727 is of no matter. It matters what it is being mated too.
Stock converter - ish like performance? Is this the goal?

Be careful here...

The early 904 have a different input shaft spline than the later models. IIRC, 68+ is the split date. Check your input spline and make sure whatever converter you buy is correct for the application.

Stock converter - ish like performance? Is this the goal?
Mild performance gains. No dragging racing or street racing planned. Rather have a heavier/stock-ish TQ for the mileage benefits and driveability.

The car has sat in my garage for the past 5 years and has had nothing done to it. Time to get it out and work on it. All I really want is a nice lil sunday driver that looks clean, sounds good, and is fun to drive around Lake Tahoe and Geiger grade (Northern Nevada resident). So I need some torque and a bit of power to pull the bigger hills. I plan to just run the 904 since its already there and I see nothing wrong with it
(Pulled the pan....looks like a 41 year old tranny with 60,000 miles on it.....)

So while the engine is out I will have the trans gone through at a shop and refresh it with new seals and clutches. Then I plan to upgrade the cooling system with a tad bit bigger trans cooler.

I have the 7-1/4 rear axle and that is going to go. I want an 8-1/4 with 3.23:1 gears and a sure grip. I would even take the 2.72:1 gears in an 8-1/4 and see how it would do.

Be careful here...
The early 904 have a different input shaft spline than the later models. IIRC, 68+ is the split date. Check your input spline and make sure whatever converter you buy is correct for the application.
Thank you! Good to know that.

It shouldn't be to hard to find a 8-1/4 with 3.21's. Though I'm sure the 2.70 something is like a plauge.

Im not too worried about the rear gears that much.

When I decided that I will put in a 360 the idea of fuel economy in my Barracuda went out the window.

Now only if I could find a nice little valiant 2 door and drop in a slant six or a 3.9L FI V6 and an 833 OD....... :)

I just went through this exact situation with my 67 dart, no one makes a converter for a 67 and older 904. Like crackedback stated they are a smaller and finer tooth input shaft. I ended up changing my input shaft, front drum and pump.

I have a stock 904 torque converter externally balanced for a 360.Not going to use it,Im going with a 727.Also have 2:72 ish gears for an 8 1/4 from my old M body cop car diff.Not sure on the splines in the tc.Could be yours cheap.PM me and we can work something out!

Mild performance gains. No dragging racing or street racing planned. Rather have a heavier/stock-ish TQ for the mileage benefits and driveability.

The car has sat in my garage for the past 5 years and has had nothing done to it. Time to get it out and work on it. All I really want is a nice lil sunday driver that looks clean, sounds good, and is fun to drive around Lake Tahoe and Geiger grade (Northern Nevada resident). So I need some torque and a bit of power to pull the bigger hills. I plan to just run the 904 since its already there and I see nothing wrong with it
(Pulled the pan....looks like a 41 year old tranny with 60,000 miles on it.....)

So while the engine is out I will have the trans gone through at a shop and refresh it with new seals and clutches. Then I plan to upgrade the cooling system with a tad bit bigger trans cooler.

I have the 7-1/4 rear axle and that is going to go. I want an 8-1/4 with 3.23:1 gears and a sure grip. I would even take the 2.72:1 gears in an 8-1/4 and see how it would do.

Thank you! Good to know that.

If you're going to have somebody go through the 904 I would recommend adding some type of shift improver kit. Doesn't have to be something that chirps the tires every time it goes into 2nd. Just something to firm it up a bit. I had one done by a trans shop & the guy said he always adds a shift improver kit when he rebuilds one.

You can also check E-bay for Tflite Patty. He sells spacers to put an early 904 and 360 engine /converter together.

SUMMIT RACING _B&M flexplate # BMM10329
100_0285-1.jpg
[/IMG]

the flex plate would be the easiest,and cheapest way to do it wit hthe older 904. as for puling hills,,you want that 3;21 or 3;23 or 3;55 you surely dont want 2;72 rear gears for hills,,

the flex plate would be the easiest,and cheapest way to do it wit hthe older 904. as for puling hills,,you want that 3;21 or 3;23 or 3;55 you surely dont want 2;72 rear gears for hills,,

I had 2.94's with 28" tires on my 69 Fury with a stock 360, a 440 thermoquad, and a stock 318 trans and converter. Has plenty of torque, and thats a c-body.

-
Back