904 to 5.2

-

amcervantes

Reaction score
Ok I must be doing something wrong I swapped out my 833 for a 904. I was installing the trans this afternoon and ended up snapping off one of the ears on the engine. I dropped the trans and found out the torque converter snout is to long. When trans is mounted its about a 1/4 off all the way around. I looked at magnum swap and it doesn't say anything about changing the converter. and Ive been searching for a while now. Any suggestions or a part number for the correct converter?
Thanks

Is the converter seated all the way into the trans....the converter kind of has to drop twice to engage the pump in the trans..

Once the engine and trans are mated...you should have to pull the converter forward about 1/8 inch to the flexplate..

Yeah just checked its all the way in. When I look at the flex plate the pilot hole is almost flush with it. Ugh this thing is driving me nuts wish I would of just kept the 833 right about now.

The engine and transmission should be able to mate together touching without using any bolts to pull them together.

I don't believe the converter is seated correctly. Set it back on there and spin it just barely pushing on it. You will feel it engage and then push it back in all the way.

Like Tony is saying after you mate the engine and trans you will have about an 1/8 in gap between the flex plate and converter before bolting the flex plate against the converter.

Is the back of your crank deep and round enough to accept the converter button?

View attachment Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 5.34.49 PM.jpg

if you move the converter back n forth...you should here a clak..clak..noise...that is the hub of the converter hitting the twangs on the pump inside the pump..

It's as far back as its going to go. I spun it around and its all the way to the back. Whenever I pull it forward the flex plate is about a quarter away from the torque converter the torque converter snout is touching crank and the bell housing is still not mating together

It's as far back as its going to go. I spun it around and its all the way to the back. Whenever I pull it forward the flex plate is about a quarter away from the torque converter the torque converter snout is touching crank and the bell housing is still not mating together

Check the centering hole in the crank to make sure it is the correct size..... That is about my last guess.

WTF do you think Tony?? haaaaa

Heres some pics. I took the flex plate off just to show you what Im looking at

Attachments

• 20140903_204305.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 20140903_204322.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 20140903_204545.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 226
Yeah its the right size. And sweet baby jesus your right. how do I get that bushing out of there. Is it pressed in or can I pull it out with a puller.

Yeah its the right size. And sweet baby jesus your right. how do I get that bushing out of there. Is it pressed in or can I pull it out with a puller.

They do make a puller but I have used a hack saw blade to cut it in 3 places then a small chisel and a hammer to get them out.

Some swear by a grease packing technique but it has never worked for me....Others may chime in with a better option. If not put on a glove and get after it!!

God I need my technician license revoked. A long day at work makes for bad troubleshooting at home hahaha. I looked at that damn thing I don't even know how many times and it never dawned on me. Go figure.

God I need my technician license revoked. A long day at work makes for bad troubleshooting at home hahaha. I looked at that damn thing I don't even know how many times and it never dawned on me. Go figure.

No biggy at least you know how to fix it now! I don't think that ear on the block will affect it at all either where it is broke off and the oil filter will cover up your sin just like a nice suit on a full blown crooked bank executive! haaaaa

-
Back