904 to 727

-

ecurb

Reaction score
do i need to buy a new tranny mount and dust shield for my 727 or will the 904 tranny mount and dust shield work? thanks bruce

I'm not positive on the mount but for sure the dust shield won't work. The 727 has a little fatter bellhousing requiring a slightly larger dust shield

Mounts interchange. Dust shield does not. If you have a factory console shifter, make sure the 727 tail housing has the holes cast in the bottom for the shifter bracket. Kickdown is different, driveshaft is different slip yoke and different length....shorter driveshaft for 727

Converter of course does not. Make sure the converter is balanced for your engine

If you have a factory console shifter, make sure the 727 tail housing has the holes cast in the bottom for the shifter bracket.

If it doesn't have the tab/ear for the shifter bracket (floorshift only), you can attach a bracket to the transmission crossmember to do the same thing.

I ran into that issue when I used a 727 from a Dodge Truck as a core to build the 727 for my 74 Duster (Now A833 car), and I had a 1970 Only Challenger Slapstik Shifter in the car, so I grabbed some 1/4" Flat Steel and fabbed up a bracket that mounted to the transmission crossmember.

I think I still have the bracket laying around, If I find where I put it I'll get some pics & measurements for everyone.

thanks everyone for the info. does anybody have a 727 dust shield they want to sell? if so LMK.
also 74dusted if you could get the specs on how to make the bracket just in case my tranny doesn't have the holes, would greatly appreciate it.
thanks everyone and a GREAT HOLIDAY to all. may santa leave hemis under your trees. thanks bruce
:blob:

what about the shifter cable is it the same from a 904 to 727 with a floor shifter?

what about the shifter cable is it the same from a 904 to 727 with a floor shifter?

If it's a factory shifter they didn't use a cable. They used linkage. I believe the main part of the linkage is the same. The only thing that may be different is the link that connects the shift rod coming down through the floor to the lever on the trans. It might be a different length. Maybe someone else here can verify that

-
Back