904 tranny issues

-

cudaboy67

Reaction score
this is the second time I've had my tranny rebuilt. the first time it lasted about a week. then proceeded to burn up the second gear band. I pulled it out had my transmission guy go through it again. its been back in the car for about a week now and I just to go for a drive to go get my daughter and what do you know it feels like its trying to stick in 2nd gear again. wait a minute let me back up a little bit, the reason I rebuilt it the first time because it was definitely stuck in second gear . no reverse no first and no 3rd gear. it wouldn't even let me roll a car backwards with it with the engine off. so ith that being said. I just took it for a ride throttled it down and it down shift did but then when it decided to upshift felt like it was going to lock up. anybody have any suggestions?

Whatever you do don't beat on it if it isn't working right.

Did you adjust the throttle valve linkage cable correctly? Is there a shift kit?

What valve body? It pays to get a good one. My guess is the 2-3 shift valve is sticking, kickdown servo could be as well, if the throttle valve adjustment is OK.

Welcome to the forum!

I've adjusted my kickdown linkage so that with wide open throttle it is fully back towards the back of the ca. stock valve body just drilled for 2nd gear.

This might help, grab a bag of popcorn and watch this, you'll be a pro afterwards:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipVKTZQFQ4M"]Chrysler Master Tech - 1962, Volume 15-8 Torqueflite Diagnosis - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxVwAqj4oRM"]Chrysler Master Tech - 1971, Volume 71-7 Torqueflite Diagnosis - YouTube[/ame]

Fishy68 should weigh in here in a bit to help as well.

All in all, don't worry, these transmissions are VERY simple to deal with both in building and troubleshooting.

Thank you, I'll check that out hopefully I'll get some light at the end of the tunnel. What do you mean by don't build a number?

PoisonDart is right about not beating on it or you'll have it out to get rebuilt again or even worse it could lock up on you going down the road and cause you to wreck.

My guess is it's either a sticking front servo or return spring left out in the front servo or a valve body issue. If it is a valve body issue the thing I'd look for is severe wear allowing oil to keep the front servo charged when it shouldn't be. I'd also double check the "drilled for 2nd gear" mod that you mentioned. What happens to give you 2nd gear is the application of the front band so it's very possible someone drilled the wrong place.

I'd also question did the rebuilder diagnose the problem or just do a quickie rebuild? The same issue of that severity should never happen twice IMO.

thanks guys I appreciate all the help. I'm thinking about checking into valve bodies since the one I have is the original one. do any of you guys have any suggestions on where I should go with that? I think I'm leaning more towards the manual valve bodies. I would be very grateful for any input you guys have to offer

Cope Racing Transmissions and Turbo Action...just to name a couple

-
Back